Sunday, June 2, 2013

Work Day


1 June 2013



The rain returned today as promised by the weather forecast.  I was actually looking forward to it since I had some indoor jobs to do and I didn’t want to do them when the sun was out.  As it happened though, there was an emergency message sent on Facebook to all the core group at Agape Church, asking for more helpers for a work party happening today.  They only had 2 signed up and they needed more, so I figured it was a better use of my time to help them with their 3 million dollar remodel project than for me to clean out our storage unit. (It's hard to believe a church consisting of about 200 people can swing a 3 million dollar remodel project, but such is the affluence of the Norwegians.)



Kory came with me this morning for a little while and started putting in a floor in one of the storage rooms, but then he had to leave to go work with Odd putting up trim work in his house.  I was the only woman working at Agape so I volunteered to do a lot of cleaning.



I love to paint or pressure wash because it’s so instantly satisfying, as it’s easy to see when the job is done, and today, I vacuumed with the same sense of satisfaction.  The floors were so coated in sawdust and construction dust, that when I vacuumed, it turned the floor from beige to gray.  It was very satisfying, albeit dirty work.


I did a lot of other small tasks too, like assemble some Ikea chairs for the café and taking the plastic coating off all the stainless steel appliances and counters for the kitchen, as I was there for nearly six hours and boy did it feel good to sit down when I got home.  But I only sat for a few minutes before we had to leave again to go have dinner with the cousin who will be visiting us this summer.  They want to get all their plans straightened out for their first time in America as they have a few jitters and we needed to calm their nerves.  I showed them the route I’d planned for our camping trip and they updated us on family members they’ve contacted they want to meet.  They are all abuzz with tension and excitement over going to America.  It’s kinda sweet, but I know how they feel, since I get that same feeling when I’m going to a new country and can’t speak the language.



Their house was doubly energized today though because their youngest son became a father today.  His girlfriend went into labor early this morning so they were on the 2am ferry to the hospital and the baby was born at 3:30, less than an hour after getting admitted.  Talk about cutting it close.  The law used to require spending seven days in the hospital but it’s now been cut down to four, but the weird thing is – no one is allowed to go to the hospital to see the mother or baby during all that time.  It’s forbidden, as the government reckons the parents need that time alone for bonding with the baby.  What a contrast to the 24 hours we get in the hospital in America and the non-stop parade of friends that came to visit us when Kaleb was born.  I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.  I think it would be nice if they let the parents decide what’s best for them, but socialist thinking makes laws they feel are good for everyone.  Such that it is.



Kaleb spent the day with Daniel.  We dropped him off before we went to Agape, and picked him up on the way home from the cousins, so he was there over 12 hours and was bummed he couldn’t spend the night.  He woke up feeling fine and peppy and full of energy this morning so I was thankful for that, but I know he wouldn’t sleep much if he stayed over. They went bowling and made pizza tonight so at least he wasn’t sitting on his computer for 12 hours straight like he normally does when they are together.  Ugh.  At least he has something in common with someone here, so I’m not complaining too much as all his other friends from the past are busy with their soccer practice and games and boy scouts, so he’s had no time with anyone else, sadly.



It was a full day and didn't provide any cool photos so I'm using some from the past week.

No comments: