20 June 2013
Kory left early for “work” today
down at the Miracle House and didn’t come home until he’d put in a full day’s
labor. He was alone today, as Kaleb and
I stayed behind to have a little chat about his Algebra scores. It took me two hours to talk him out of his
funk, and to help him see the good that came from doing so poorly (78%) on the
test. He admitted he made mistakes in
studying and he saw how his attitude about some of the lessons affected his
final outcome. They were teaching
several different ways to come to the same conclusion but he refused to learn
the other ways because they took so much time… but in the end, that’s what bit
him in the butt because he was supposed to show his work through those lengthy
processes he didn’t want to learn. Now
he knows that following instructions is for his own benefit. But I told him if he did the best he could,
he should just be proud of the fact he got a final grade of a B on a university
level math class when he was only 14 years old.
Not many can pull that off so I tried to get him to focus on the
positive a bit more. Eventually, the
tension broke and he agreed to get out of bed!
Whew.
We went for a long walk together after
he got up, as he had hoped to spend time at school today saying farewell to his
old classmates, but since he wouldn’t get out of bed, he sort of missed that
chance. He did go to his friend Toban’s
house though and for the first time since we arrived, was able to spend some
time with him. He was sure glad for
that. I walked on a little further and
went to a luncheon held by my friend, Bente, and enjoyed just a little stress
free peace and quiet with friends, as Kaleb’s attitude was very draining.
I was going to walk the hour walk
back home again, as it was a nice day, but about 15 minutes into it, I walked
past a friend’s house and she was just getting in her car to go to work, so she
gave me a ride home. Lucky me. I actually needed that extra time for packing
today as I’m starting to feel a little pressured to get more things done than
are done, and I’m wondering when I’m going to say goodbye to everyone if I’m
packing and cleaning the last few days.
All my bags needed to be repacked
and reweighed so I could fit in the things I bought for Kory’s 70th
birthday party. At least now that’s over
and done with and I got four more boxes filled with stuff I won’t be using
between now and Monday.
Tina stopped by with Daniel this
afternoon as Daniel wanted Kaleb to come over for the night, so we visited with
them for a little while before Kaleb was ready to go. Another friend called to say we are welcome to
use the apartment in their basement anytime we want to come back to Norway, so
we don’t have to wait two years until our tenant moves out to return. I thought
that was nice, and who knows, we may pop back over here for a week or two
sometime, if the ticket price and timing are right.
I’ve been holding back tears all
day as I’ve been packing up and thinking about how long two years seems before
we return. I know time goes by quickly,
but two years seems like an eternity right now.
I’m sure going to miss this place.

No comments:
Post a Comment