2 June 2013
Woke up with a killer sore throat so I’ve been gargling with
hydrogen peroxide, sucking on honey and taking lots of vitamin C and Echinacea
all day. Yuck. I might have a fever,
too, but we don’t have a thermometer here so I can’t check. It was a rough night.
Kory was asked to run the “grill” at the Children’s Festival
at Philadelphia Church today (above - with the cool hot pink trailer Kory made), making hot dogs and burgers for the kids, so he
was up and out the door early, heading across the street for more volunteer
work. I followed an hour later and didn’t
know it was the same day that one of our cousins was dedicating her new baby
girl, so it was a big surprise to see that whole section of the family at
church when we walked through the door.
We’re related to an alarming number of people around here.
Yesterday, the guy I was assembling chairs with at Agape
Church was the nephew to Kory’s cousin’s cousin… so we were related by
marriage. I’m sure I would find a string
connecting me to nearly everyone I meet if I asked enough questions, but that’s
what makes being here kinda cool.
There’s a sense of belonging.
I didn’t linger after the church service was over since it
was raining and no one was venturing outside and it was very crowded in the
church café and I didn’t feel very good. I came home and laid down on the couch
and promptly fell fast asleep, as I should have. And that’s how I spent my afternoon.
We were invited to the party that was held in honor of the
baby’s dedication, but we’d already accepted an invitation to dinner with some
other friends, so I was bummed about the timing of things and that we couldn’t
do both. When it rains, it pours.
We had such a wonderful time tonight though that I didn’t
think twice about missing the family gathering.
After a yummy (but not fat free vegan) dinner, and wonderful chat we had
a time of prayer with our hosts. The guy
is actually Kory’s 3rd cousin and will be retiring in a few
weeks. He fell on a climb last year in
the mountains and damaged his knees.
Three surgeries later and he still has too much pain, so we prayed for
him and his pain disappeared! It was a
miracle happening right before our eyes, so he was shouting Hallelujah and his
wife was in tears. We were glad to be a
part of God working in his life.

No comments:
Post a Comment