24 June 2013
I wasn’t in bed before 1:00am this
morning and then woke up at 4:30 thinking about all the things we had to do
today, and couldn’t go back to sleep. I
hate that. I ran on adrenalin all
day. I also hadn’t written either of my
articles for the newspaper and my latest deadline is Mondays, so I knew I was
in trouble. I used those early hours to
go through old Norway articles and re-did one about the fire that burned the
city, so I could include my latest experiences at the Miracle House, so at
least I got that job done before anyone else woke up. I was in a panic about what to write for the
Life on the Ridge column though as nothing was coming to me, so I just ignored
it.
I had massive amounts of cleaning
to do, even though our tenant said she’d do the big scrub down after we left, I
just couldn’t leave her with spilled gunk in the frig, burned gunk in the oven
and crumbs on the breadboard. I needed
to wipe down everything, and finish packing up the kitchen, which had to wait
til last so we could eat up as much food as possible. Tante Aslaug was happy to take our remnants.
We were all busy with the final
day’s prep work – Kory took the plates off the car and delivered them into the
car registration place so we could cancel our insurance. He took Kaleb’s bike to do that, then went to
the post office to give our change of address.
He called our condo association to get the condo dues bills sent to us
via email and he tried to shut off our internet and electric, but ran into a
few roadblocks and needed help. (Above - moving furniture "Moa style" with a shopping cart!)
Kaleb took his bike over to say
goodbye to a few friends then came home and started vacuuming and wiping down
the floors – we were all busy as busy could be.
I so wanted to go see my friend Sandra before we left town and give her
little boy another kiss on the cheek, but I knew we couldn’t make it – so she
called in sick and came over to say goodbye to us! I was so touched by that. And by the time she and her family showed up,
we were nearly done packing and cleaning so we actually sat down for about an
hour and visited with them, which was so nice.
Her husband Karl helped us get through shutting off our electricity
account and also showed me how to file my taxes on-line. What an angel sent by God at the time I
needed it most. So all in all, we got it
all done at the last minute.
When they left we had less than an
hour for final clean up so I just shoved things in boxes and put them in the
front seat of our car. The worst part
was the final laundry wasn’t dry so I had to spread out wet laundry all over
the inside of our car so it will dry over the next two years. Funny.
If anyone breaks in, they will be greeted by underwear sitting on top of
everything, including the dashboard. I’m
so glad we have a car cover so no one can see inside that vehicle. It’s worse than hillbillies.
So we made it to the bus stop (above) to
catch the airport shuttle with three minutes to spare. Whew.
I prayed before we checked in, as we are only allowed one piece of
luggage to Oslo, since it’s a domestic flight, but last year, because we were
going all the way to America, they waived it and gave us the 2 piece
allowance. We fly SAS to Oslo, then
switch to Iceland Air to Seattle and they have some agreement to cooperate like
that. Well, this time we were just
flying to Iceland so I was worried because we weren’t going straight to
America, we’d have to pay $65 each for all 3 extra bags, but I asked the woman
if we needed to do that and she said, “I know what the rules say” and then she didn’t
say another word. She printed out six
luggage tickets and put the bags on the conveyor belt without charging us a
thing. Oh, I was so thankful!
I had a slight scare going through
security as a friend had given Kaleb a very fancy letter opener that looks like
a knife, and I’d placed it in the wrong piece of luggage, so it ended up in my
carry-on bag! They caught that right
away, but then, being a small airport and all, just sent it back to the luggage
handler and told him to put it in our luggage.
I was ever so thankful for that one, too.
While we were waiting at the
airport for our flight, Kory told me I should write a Life on the Ridge article
about all the luggage we travel with, and boy did I have material for that
one. In five minutes my fingers flew
across the keyboard and I was done and it was off to my editor. Talk about last minute! Another thing off my to do list for
today. Whew.
We arrived in Iceland (above) at 10:30pm
and got to our hotel at midnight, only to find out they’d messed up our
reservation and we only had two beds in our room. So we are waiting and waiting for the third
bed and it’s now 1:00am. I’m not sure
how I’m still functioning on such little sleep, but it’s still been a good day.

No comments:
Post a Comment