Thursday, July 10, 2008

Let's Play!


Here’s Kory and Kaleb at a Mariner’s game last Sunday. Kory won the tickets, otherwise he wouldn’t spend money on such a thing… but it was a good activity for a 4th of July weekend nonetheless. And while the boys were playing, I started cleaning.

When Kaleb was born I asked a few women old enough to be my mom, what was the biggest mistake they made in raising their children. They each said, “I kept my house too clean.” It was easy advice to take at the time and it took a lot of pressure off me and kept my focus on important things – being available to play and interact with Kaleb in all the various and sundry ways over the years. And the advice made sense at the time… but now, almost ten years into living in this house and not doing much house work, our house is just downright scary and now I’m paying for all that PLAY time! Some of the furniture hasn’t been moved in ten years -- yikes!

We own rental property and I HATE to have new tenants move into the old tenants “yuck” so I always clean with a toothbrush to get every speck of dirt in every little corner of the unit. I don’t live by that standard myself, but now that we have Ryan and Laura moving into our house next week, I feel like I need to get rid of the “yuck” that’s been building up for the last decade. So the sun is shining this week, and so are my floors.

We leave two weeks from today. I’m far from ready. Kory has spent all week at our apartment building in Seattle cleaning a unit that just became vacant and we are hoping to get rented out before we go. Kaleb has spent the week in Bellingham at Western Washington University going to science camp. He made a solar oven and a CO2 powered race car. He’s been in his element, for sure, but this is one week we are all happy to see end, as we are all very tired.

No comments: