Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Day of Rest


We went to the Filadelfia Church (the local pentecostal church) this morning. There were about 50 people there. Last time I went, several years ago, there were hundreds. It was a good sermon encouraging everyone to “be an answer to prayer.” But it’s a dying church – too many people get lazy, they say, and quit coming. The pastor greeted us, introduced us to the congregation, and announced that we needed housing. I was amazed that I understood so much of what was being said. HALLELUJAH! Afterwards several people greeted us. Some remembered Kory when he was a boy living here. One woman told me she was friends with Kory’s mom before she was ever married (back in the 1930s). I need to talk more to that woman as I’m sure she has stories we have never heard, and I love stories!

This afternoon we took a walk then had a much needed nap. Kaleb and Hege picked wild raspberries and red currants on the walk. It was a hot day, but nice. Kory and I are fasting and praying today for God to provide us with housing by Friday. We have faith, and that is so helpful during times of (otherwise) stress.

Kory and Odd are at a soccer game right now (7pm) and Kaleb and Hege are playing together outside. Turid and I are sitting on the deck, each with a laptop, enjoying the breeze. Sundays are quiet in Norway. Not many things are open (maybe a gas station here or there). No one works (except emergency personnel). Many people are on vacation this week so even the neighborhood is quiet and not many cars pass by. Earlier Kory shouted HALLELUJAH! to break the silence and Odd told him someone might call the police to take him away – he must be crazy in the head, they will think. No one shouts here (unless they are at a soccer game and apparently that is why Odd took Kory with him – maybe hoping to get out all his enthusiasm there so he’ll be quiet at home??) It’s a good thing our church prayed for Norway before we left – to prepare them for our arrival – as nothing we have done so far is “typisk norsk” as they say (typical Norwegian). HALLELUJAH!

(The photo is taken near Odd and Turid’s house. Kaleb and Hege are picking berries and Odd and Kory are walking the path next to the road.)

No comments: