Thursday, August 2, 2012

Workin' on the To-Do List


Today wasn’t anything out of the ordinary as it involved many little jobs around the house and lots of visits with family, so all-in-all it was a good day, but it went by far too quickly.

Daniel spent the night with Kaleb so they were fairly engrossed in electronics all day.  I had to kick them out of the house when the sun peaked through the clouds so they wandered around the mall and went over to the skate park to watch kids skate.  Later in the day I offered to pay them to pick wild blueberries, as they needed more incentive to break free from their electronic addictions.  I got half a pound of blueberries out of the deal, anyway.

Tante Kari came up this morning for a visit just after I told Kory we needed to stop in and see her today, since it’s been several days since we’ve chatted.  She’s always so chipper and fun to hang with, so our visits are never long enough.

After Kari left, we decided to go visit Tante Ruth at the old folk’s home as we hadn’t seen her at all since we’ve been here this year.  She assured me last year she’d be in heaven by the time we returned to Norway, but I do think she’ll live longer than Kari.  Ruth was looking better than ever.  She’s put on a few pounds, which she needed, and she got a new hearing aid so she’s able to hear much better.  It’s so nice not to have to yell at her all the time, but sadly, she’s still blind. 

She sang us an old Christian Norwegian hymn and she asked us to sing her a song too, so we sang a modern Norwegian song we sing at church that she’d never heard.  She was thrilled we remembered she liked Aplets and Cotlets and brought her a few boxes of them, so she gobbled down a few pieces while we were there.  She’ll be 89 in October and feels lucky to be alive. 


Ruth likes to say, “Imagine that – you have the time to come visit an old lady like me!”  She asked about “God’s leilighet” (condo) as Kory often tells people that God has a condo in Norway with our name on it.  Kory gave her a short version of the long list of things we are doing to it this year when we are here.

Not far from Ruth’s place is an antique store that sells things for far too much money, but the things I love the most, they sell dirt cheap, so I had to stop in for a quick visit.  I like the Norwegian metal trays for serving cookies, holding candles or plants or whatever and today was my lucky day because they were half off so I got a lot of them for about 35 cents each.  It’s not possible to buy a single piece of candy in Norway for 35 cents so I went home whistling Dixie over that one.  I also got a cool pewter Viking ship that looks stellar on my bookshelf, but I had to splurge on that one and spend ten bucks.  I just couldn’t pass it up.

When I was telling one cousin about my love for these old Norwegian items she just shook her head and said, “I just throw that stuff out.  I figure if I don’t want it anymore, no one else will and I think many others think the same way.”  I’m sure the dumps all over Norway hold more treasures than any antique store could manage.  So sad.

Both Kory and I made big blunders today with no one to blame but our foggy old brains.  I’ve been waiting all summer to make reservations for a mission trip a group from our church will be taking next August.  I’m the organizer of the trip, but my organization skills were sorely lacking today when I calculated the time difference in the wrong direction.  The orphanage takes reservations on the first of the month, one year before the trip is to happen.  They time stamp all the requests so it’s first come, first serve.  I’ve had the email ready and was sitting by the computer watching the clock intently for midnight on August 1st to hit Pacific Standard Time… but it turns out I was six hours too late!  For whatever whacko reason I thought it would be 3 in the afternoon here, when it was midnight there, and I couldn’t have been more wrong.  I should have sent the email at 9am, instead.  Ugh!  I can only pray that our request got in soon enough to get at least one of the weeks for next August, but I was kicking myself the rest of the day over it.


We were invited over to Odd and Turid’s for dinner tonight.  They are our anchor here in Norway as in year’s past we’ve always stayed with them for weeks on end so we feel most at home at their place. Turid told me initially to come at six o’clock, but called later and told Kory to come at 4:30.  The problem with talking about the time in Norwegian is that Norwegian use the words “half five” when they mean 4:30, since it’s half way to five o’clock, but if a person isn’t thinking straight, it’s easy to think of it as 5:30, and that’s what Kory did.  So he had his own mix-up on the time today, too. 

The boys were up in the woods picking blueberries when Turid called at ten til five wondering where we were.  We had to call the boys and tell them to run home, then drive Daniel home and head on over to Odd’s house, and we were still 45 minutes late and the food was getting cold.  Oops.  Dinner was still good and Kory got to eat fish one more time this week.  It’s a good thing we climbed a mountain yesterday. 


Turid boiled the halibut and other veggies and I brought another fat-free pineapple cake, which surprised them by how good it was.  They both took the smallest little piece at first, since it sounds so unappealing. Odd couldn’t understand how anyone could make a cake without butter in it, but they both ate seconds and thirds as the night went on.  We put the fresh blueberries on top and we had vanilla sauce at the ready and I think we all ate more dessert than dinner.

It’s so nice people are trying to accommodate Kory’s diet, as I know how hard it is to cook with no fat.  Friends are asking friends behind our back “What can we cook for Kory?” as people want to have us over but are clueless as to what to make. Dr. Odd is not at all in favor of this diet, so he was pleased to see Kory eating some halibut.  At home, Kory doesn’t “cheat” at all, but he knows it’s impossible when we are invited somewhere.  But even Odd was impressed when Kory told him he climbed Sula yesterday and never got any angina, except for a brief moment right after we’d eaten lunch and were hiking uphill.  Of course, we were going at my pace the whole way, but still, to think he can climb mountains without the threat of a heart attack was very comforting to Odd.  Odd said he will NEVER climb a mountain with Kory though, because he would be too afraid.  Odd’s younger sister died in his arms of a heart condition, so he doesn’t want that happening again.

We had a wonderful visit with Odd and Turid, as usual – sitting out on their deck wrapped in wool blankets and drinking a little wine watching the day come to a close.  The only bad part was when Odd told us he doesn’t think his mom (Tante Kari) will live more than a year since she’s having to have more and more transfusions and her blood keeps getting thicker with each one.  Her cancer is something like leukemia where her spine doesn’t produce red blood cells anymore.  It’s hard to think of being in Norway without her, so we’ll just have to cross that bridge when it gets here. I guess we all can’t live forever, but at last I’m trying to keep us all healthy until that day comes.
 

No comments: