Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Wasted Day



I’ve noticed that life starts getting hard when it stops going my way.  It was a hard day today.  I should have gone for a walk, maybe even climbed a mountain, but I sat home and just felt sorry for myself, instead.  I don’t recommend it as any type of productive therapy. Today was fairly wasted.

I tried to find any kind of food pulverizer so I can finish up this batch of sweet potato/garbanzo patties I made for Kory, but I had no luck.  None of the Aunts have anything that will work that I can borrow.  None of the stores had anything I can afford.  Kory continues to mope around the house moaning about how hungry he is all the time and in my best efforts to try to feed the man, things just backfire.

Even tonight, I soaked some black beans all day and started making some soup for him.  It required a slow-cooker so I plugged in the one I brought from home when we moved here in 2008, using an expensive adapter that has several settings for different voltage requirements.  It’s the same one that blew out my Cuisinart, my hand-held mixer and Kaleb’s sonicare toothbruth.  I put it on the right setting, turned on the slow cooker and about one minute later I smelled burning wires, heard a loud popping sound and smoke started coming out of the darn thing.  I wanted to cry. 

It’s as if I’m not supposed to be making food for Kory.  I wish.  I want to give up this whole vegan deal and just let him feed himself whatever he wants.  But I can’t, and I won’t, so I’m totally bummed right now.  I’m sure people have worse problems, but today, mine seemed insurmountable.

We were supposed to be at some friend’s house for dinner tonight but the man’s mother took a terrible turn for the worse after cancer surgery and was in ICU so they had to cancel and go be with his father, after visiting the mom in the hospital.  I’d made a cake to take for dessert and after they cancelled, we called several people to see about getting together for cake and coffee tonight, as a quick back-up plan to satisfy our need for social time, but no one we called was available on such short notice.  This only added more shades of blue, to the blue I was already feeling.  Kaleb, however, scored some extra time with his buddies tonight, so he’s a happy kid.

We also struck out today trying to find some used, or cheap, tires for our van.  They are starting to go bald and we’ll get a ticket and have the vehicle taken away from us if we get stopped by the police.  Since we are driving to Sweden in a week, we wanted to get them replaced today, but no one in our entire area even has tires the size we need.  Uff da. 

I don’t think I managed to do one single productive thing today except scream.   Oh, I guess I did give my friend Tina a ride to the store since she’s currently car-less, but that was about it.  (The top 3 photos are taken near her house.)  I also rode along with Kory to go to the dump to get rid of our old BBQ, but that took all of five minutes. (The above photo is of the dump - only Norway would have a grass roofed dump station!)  And the rug I put in the washer is still hanging in the bathroom to dry, so that doesn’t really count as a completed job yet, either.

Some days are like this in my world.  The fact it rained most of the day didn’t help, either.  But God is still good and I’m sure there’s a lesson in all this from Him, if I just listen, but honestly, I wasn’t doing much of that today, either. 

The only good news today is that I’m down so low, it can only go up from here. 

No comments: