Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Harvest


I don’t really miss much about America when we are in Norway as there are plenty of things to keep me distracted.  But being in Norway this time of year is a little bitter sweet since I do love being at home during the harvest.  We have a lot of fruit trees, and there’s nothing better than walking out first thing in the morning and pulling some fruit off the tree for breakfast.  Last year, none of our trees produced much of anything, but this year they were loaded, so I’m a bit sad that we aren’t there to eat it all.

But as God would have it, we are in Norway during the blueberry season and today, Kaleb and I picked blueberries for a few hours and got over two pounds of those luscious blue little orbs.  I’m going to make a pie on Tuesday and I’m sure I have enough for blueberry pancakes for tomorrow and even enough to put some in my morning smoothie and maybe even freeze some for later.  All totaled, it was about four cups worth, since they are so tiny.  It’s not the same as trees full of Asian pears, golden plums and apples back home, but they will have to do.  Fortunately, we have some woods just up the street full of wild blueberry bushes that have yet to be “discovered,” except by us. 

Before picking berries today, we went to Philadelphia Church this morning and got to see a lot of friends and family that weren’t there last week.  The sermon and worship were good too, so it was time well spent.  I thought it was funny that the pastor read today’s Bible reading right from his smart phone.  And tonight we went to Agape Church and Pastor Mark had all his sermon notes on his I-pad, so his face was glowing from the light of it as he stood at the pulpit.  Such funny times we live in.

There’s a deaf guy from England that goes to Philadelphia Church, so Kory invited him along today to go the Bible Study out at the B&B where we went last week.  He was happy to have some fellowship in a smaller setting, as it’s difficult for him to understand anything unless he can read lips.  He has an implant, but it picks up too much noise, but in a home, without the background noise, it’s easier for him to understand what’s going on.  So he joined us tonight for a Bible study on the “remnant of Israel” in the end times.  Clive is certain we are well on our way to the final days and he waits expectantly for the second coming of Christ.  It’s kind of nice to be around people who are so excited about it.  I usually don’t give it a second thought since I’m sure, if I’m around them, I’ll be “taken up in the clouds” with Christ, when he comes again.  That will be the day, but maybe not in my lifetime.  Who knows.  There are certainly many “birth pains” as the Bible talks about that point to the end, but I’ve got too much to do between now and then to worry about it.


I don’t focus much on the judgment of God, as I know my sins are forgiven, so for me, it’s time better spent thinking about His unending love for me.  I look for it in everything and I’m constantly blown away by how much God loves me and all he does for me in so many small ways.  But if I were the kind of person who was looking for judgment, I guess I would have found it today.

In Norway, it’s against the law to do any “work” on a Sunday, as it’s supposed to be a day of rest and relaxation.  I think the biggest emphasis on that law is that one shouldn’t make any noise that would disturb a neighbor, should they be taking a real day of rest.

My friend Tina, had a neighbor come over to her last week and ask if it was OK that he continued to remove the roof on his house on Sunday, because the weather was supposed to be nice and with putting on a new roof, time is of the essence to keep the rain out.  (Photo below is taken from the car driving through one of the many tunnels we go through to get out to the islands.)


He had to go around to all the neighbors and ask their permission to be working on a Sunday, and if one of them said he couldn’t do it, then he couldn’t do it.  They would have the right to call the police and complain about the noise, so he was stemming that tide.

Many apartment buildings have a common laundry room, and it’s also against the law to do laundry on Sunday (or mow the grass or wash the car, etc.).  I forgot about that law today and did a load of laundry before we went to church, so I could hang it out to dry after church.  We have our own washing machine, but it’s even illegal to hang out laundry on Sunday. 


Just before we went to the Bible Study, the sheets on the deck were almost dry, but I decided to leave them out while we were gone.  Big mistake.  And here’s where a paranoid person would take it as a judgment from God for doing work on the Sabbath…. A huge and sudden rain storm came through, just over where we live – no rain was out on the islands where we were - so the clothes were much more wet than when they had just come out of the washing machine.  So much for dry sheets tonight.  I just had to laugh at the irony of it all. 

So in keeping in line with the “no work” rule on Sunday, I didn’t make dinner.  We had plenty of leftovers from last night so my job was done and I’m happy to say I spent more time today worshipping God than doing anything else.  Hallelujah.

No comments: