Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Family Day



Kaleb decided to stay home today to read and hang out with us.  We’re so glad he did, as we just don’t see him much when we are here.  The sun was shining and I couldn’t wait to get to the beach, but we had to wait for Kory to be done pressure washing the deck before we could leave.  He was very thorough, taking up all the sections of the deck and spraying them from every angle.  It didn’t get all the old stain off though, so we still need to re-stain and re-oil them, but at least he’s now “comfortable” with his work.  He likes to overdo things every once in a while, and this was one of those things.  I was itching to get out in the sunshine, as it’s supposed to rain this weekend and my tan is fading fast.


I kept myself busy in the kitchen, making fat-free cookies and some yummy soup for lunch, while waiting on Kory.  Kaleb curled up in the chair in his room and read one book after another.  I also walked over to the mall to price out new curtain rods, as the ones we have now aren’t the right kind for the curtains we put up a few years ago.  It’s always something.


Finally, after lunch, I told Kory we were leaving without him, since two hours earlier he said he’d be done in an hour.  It was then he decided to put down the hose and go with us to the beach.  The pressure washing could wait.  Hallelujah for that.


I was trying to think of who we could call to join us at the beach.  Kaleb called a few friends but no one was home by then, as the sun was out and I’m sure not a soul was inside their house.  I figured we’d run into someone once we were there, so the three of us just took off, ready for some rays.


Right away, Kaleb headed for a little nook in a rock to read from his Nook (above).  He reads faster than I think is possible.  He could care less about swimming, like all the other kids out there today.  He just sat curled up with a book he’s probably already read a dozen times.  Sometimes I wonder about him.

Kory and I both went exploring the coastline a little, as we’d been to that park before but always to the same spots, so we decided to expand our horizons a little and see what there was to see.  I took a few photos and enjoyed watching others in the water, not brave enough myself, to dive in.



Wild blueberry bushes were scattered throughout the woods, so I encouraged Kaleb to stop reading and start picking.  I promised him blueberry muffins in the morning if he got enough.  He had to negotiate something to make it worth his while and quit reading, so I told him my offer of paying ten dollars a kilo (2.2 pounds), was still good, so he agreed.  He picked about 1/3 of a pound so I won’t go broke anytime soon off of him as he eats more than he gets in the basket.


As I was coming back from my “explore” a woman was sitting by the beach, staring right at me and smiling.  I didn’t know who she was at first because she had sunglasses on, but when her husband said my name, and I saw him, I had to laugh.  I knew we’d meet up with someone we knew, and sure enough we did – it was Kory’s old boss, Jonathan, and his wife and little boy.  When Kory came over, Jonathan asked him right away if he’d go back to work for him, as he’s got more work than he can handle.  Kory just laughed.  If he had a work permit, he might be tempted to earn a few kroner, but last time we asked about getting a temporary work permit they said it would take two months, so that blew that idea since we are here for less than three months.  We were able to visit with them for a long time though.  It was a God appointed meeting since Kory has been wanting a good quality used drill motor and they cost hundreds of dollars, but Jonathan told him he had an old one he’d just give him for free.  Such an answer to prayer, and in God’s timing too, since he needs it to finish up work on the deck and hang new curtain rods, should we ever get them. 

A little girl that was at the beach looked up at me and asked, “Er du mor mor til Jakob?” (Are you Jakob’s grandmother?)  I answered, “Nei, du jeg ser ut som?” (No, do I look like it?”  “Ja” she answered (yes).  “Er hun et vakkert damme?” (Is she a beautiful woman?”) I asked.  And the little girl just stared at me and didn’t answer.  That cracked me up.  So much for boosting my ego today.

Kory started drooling after Jonathan put the hot dogs on the grill, so I knew it was time to go. It was just too much for poor old Kory.

While I was making dinner, Kaleb was watching a TV program on the Discovery channel on how chocolate bars are made.  He took his blueberry money and some money from recycling empty bottles and immediately ran over to the store to buy a chocolate bar.  He loves that he can do that here – just run to the store to get whatever he wants.  I told him if he’s that influenced by what he sees on TV, he needs to be very careful what he watches.  Thankfully, we don’t have TV in America, but here, it’s piped into every condo and is paid for via our condo dues, so we indulge every once in a while and watch it.

Kaleb noticed yesterday, for the first time, that our bathroom (below) is bigger than his bedroom.  It’s true.  Norwegian bathrooms are HUGE, as they double for a laundry room as well and all have the washing machines in there as well.  And since electricity is so expensive, everyone hangs their clothes to dry outside (few people own dryers), but if it’s raining, they have to go somewhere – so they go in the bathroom.  I thought it was funny that we’ve been living here for 3 years now and Kaleb just noticed the sizes of the rooms. 

After dinner tonight we had a “family game night” so we all played Phase 10.  We called our old neighbors Tone and Sabina to see if they wanted to join us, as they love playing games, but we couldn’t get ahold of them, so we treated ourselves to a local favorite - pineapple flavored pop, chomped on a little chocolate and had a good ol’ time.  Kory won the game so he got the bowl of strawberries sprinkled with vanilla sugar, since he couldn’t eat the chocolate. 


Kaleb ended the evening by giving me a back massage, trying to figure out more ways to earn extra money, as he knows we don’t just hand it to him.  I told him he needs a few lessons before I’d pay him much, as he was pretty rushed and fairly rough. He’s anxious to get the internet at home so he can start searching for “pressure points” and ways to reduce my stress.  Funny, I didn’t think I had any.

No comments: