Monday, June 7, 2010

Sunny Days and Sundays Always Make Me Smile

The house still isn’t in order after bringing in all the things from our time at the cabin. It’s incredible how much stuff has to be packed up, then put back. I didn’t have enough time or energy before heading out to church this morning to get it all done, so now it sits waiting for me tonight, when once again, I’d rather be sleeping than cleaning.




We would have gone to Philadelphia Church this morning, but Kaleb called and invited Toban to come with us to church, and since he agreed to go, we went to Agape Church. It’s closer to his house and would be easier for him to attend after we are gone. He’d never been to church before so he didn’t know what to expect. On the way there I overheard Kaleb telling him (in Norwegian, of course), “You’re really going to like this church, Toban. It’s not like other churches. You can feel God there.” Toban responded with, “Oh?” and I saw his eyebrows rise up a bit. Kaleb warned him the music was loud, “like a concert.” I think he liked it.



Agape Church sings a lot of English songs so all throughout worship time Kaleb was leaning over and translating the words to Norwegian for Toban, so he would know what we were singing about. I wish I could have heard some of the words he used, as “Christian-ese” sometimes is pretty hard to understand, even in English. They did just fine and dismissed out to children’s church while we heard another wonderful sermon from Pastor Mark. Mark stopped in the middle of his sermon, after Kory shouted out a loud and appropriate, “Hallelujah!” and he said how wonderful it was to have Kory back at church so he gets some immediate feedback. He also said he hoped somehow our trip back home would be delayed so we could be here in Aalesund longer. I shouted a loud, “Amen” to that!



Kaleb spent the rest of his day at Toban’s house just hanging out, being buddies.



After church, I packed up a backpack with an “enganggrill” (one time use grill) I bought yesterday, and some food leftover from the cabin trip and Kory and I met up with My Pal Vestina and her new boyfriend, and we all headed for the beach. Unfortunately, the place she wanted to go to was the same hike I’ve been on two times already in the last month, but she’s never been and wanted to know how to get there. I would have preferred another place, but it’s never a bad time spent out on the island of Vigra. As is true with most cool places in Norway, unless someone points out the trailhead or even how to get to a park, it’s impossible to find. Norway is seriously lacking in the sign department, so almost every place we go to, we had to be shown how to get there by someone the first time. I guess it’s how they keep the foreigners out.



My Pal Vestina also wanted my opinion on her boyfriend from Lithuania. She likes that she can speak her native language with him, but otherwise, she’s not really thrilled with him, and it shows. I told her he was nice enough, but I didn’t see any spark between them. Who knows how long this one will last, but for now, she’s just happy to have someone to pal around with (see photo of them on the beach.) She was on her best behavior with him around, so we didn’t have the usual “chick time” together where we crack each other up. Kory was along too, so the biggest laughs Vestina had was watching the two of us interact. We planned one more get-together before I leave, so hopefully we’ll have a little chick time then.



We were supposed to have dinner tonight with The Good Teacher Inga, but we rescheduled to Thursday because she had to leave town today for a meeting. That woman is busier than any I know as she is on several educational boards throughout Norway. I had to reschedule a road trip I was taking with Turid on Thursday, so I could fit in dinner with Inga. Our last two weeks here are completely booked, and now it’s just juggling schedules if one bump hits the road. I think I’ll start praying for the volcano in Iceland to act up in a few weeks, so we have a little more time here. It beats the heck out of Kory breaking his back last year and giving us an extra two weeks. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

No comments: