Saturday, June 19, 2010

Saying Our Goodbyes

The day was completely scattered with packing, good-byes to some, fetching things Kaleb’s left at every house he’s spent time in since we got here, and continuing to tie up loose ends. Cousin Axel’s wife, Kari, said she would be our contact person should we rent out our condo. She said she’ll contact a temporary employment agency she knows about that places doctors and nurses in this area for short periods of time. She felt it would be no problem to get our place rented, but we’ll see how it goes. I’m just glad she’s in charge, and not me. We have to take out everything we care about and put it in storage in the basement, so I’m not real fond of that part, but at least it will only take a few hours when we return to get all settled in again. Everything else is staying put.




Kaleb had the camera with him at school today so he took some photos of his pals, but mostly of his teacher. She’s a cutie, and as sweet as can be, so I’m glad he captured her smile so many times. He went right home after school with Andre. Kaleb, Andre, Daniel and Henrik all signed up for a Pentecostal children’s retreat this weekend so once the rain and wind stop, they should be in for a good time – I hope. I only saw him for the few minutes I was driving him to the bus stop. I’d picked up his other friend’s too and they all sat in the car with their noses in comic books. It was pretty funny looking. I’m sure it’s some form of male bonding I’m unaware of.



Kory took Kaleb to school this morning and didn’t notice he wasn’t wearing a coat. The bus terminal where the boys caught the bus to go to camp is right at the mall where we live. We were ten minutes early so I had Kaleb run home and get his coat. I’m not sure what took him so long, but he nearly missed the bus, as they had a ferry to catch and they weren’t about to wait for a little boy. Uff da. I was in such a panic, but he got there just in the nick of time.



Now that I’m nearly done packing our suitcases for home, I realized we had a little extra space in our luggage (thanks to all the stuff we’ve been able to off load on Tobias’ parents.) So I ran to my favorite second hand store to buy a few more treasures. I like to have unusual gifts on hand and for those interested in Norway. The old handmade items I’ve been able to find are something special – I think anyway. Cousin Kari says she hates all the pewter stuff I’ve bought, but I think it’s the coolest. I guess she’s not alone in her thinking, and that’s why it’s all so cheap now in the second hand stores. Yipee for me.



Yesterday was Tante Aslaug’s 85th birthday. She had some of her kids and grandkids over for a party (we were invited but couldn’t attend), so today she invited us and Tante Ruth to come over to eat the leftover cake and goodies. We were next door at her place for a while this afternoon – Kory longer than I. Aunt Ruth was there in body only – she was so lost and unable to communicate or see anything going on. I rubbed her shoulders as she’s been complaining about a pain she has there, so all she really kept saying was how good that felt, while others carried on a conversation around her. I got maybe one last photo of the three sisters together (see today’s photo – Kari is standing, Aslaug is kneeling next to Ruth). I hope Aunt Ruth is still around when we come back next year, but who knows what the future holds. She’s pretty frail right now, but she sure perked up when Aslaug gave her some licorice.



I was actually alone in the house tonight for a few hours while Kory visited his Tante Kari downstairs. Except for the sound of the wind whipping around outside, it was pretty quiet here. I even took a break to sit down and rest and watch a few minutes of television – the first time I’ve done that since we’ve been in Norway. I haven’t been missing much. What a bunch of junk.



It certainly feels like we are winding down now. There won’t be enough time to say goodbye to everyone this weekend so I’ll just have to send text messages and let my friend’s know I’m leaving. Everyone sends text messages here, rather than make a phone call. I even saw one girl riding her bike with no hands the other day because they were busy “texting.” I guess my blog could just be considered one heck of a long text message… but as my Daddy used to say, “This too, shall pass.”

No comments: