I’m in love with my dishwasher. Not just because it washes all the dishes up AFTER a dinner party, but because it gives me a place to put the dirty dishes BEFORE the company arrives. I had such a tough time keeping the kitchen looking clean before I had a dishwasher. All the dirty dishes just gathered by the side or in the sink, but now, I can have a sink full of dirty dishes, and just stuff them away in my secret hiding place and the kitchen looks sparkling clean. Oh, what a lovely invention that dishwasher was.
We had Cousin Axel and his wife, Kari over for dinner tonight, along with the new pastors (husband and wife) of the Philadelphia Church. We also invited Tante Aslaug (Axel’s mom) at the last minute when I realized I made way too much food. None of it was leftover, however, as it all tasted so good everyone had seconds. Whew. I always get a little nervous when I cook American food, not knowing if the Norwegian palate can handle anything other than salt as a seasoning.
We love to have company, and we feel so blessed to have such a great place in which to host the events. Fitting eight around the table in our little kitchen here is way more comfortable than squeezing eight around our dining room table back home. And fitting eight around our coffee table for dessert here is actually possible. At home, it is not. Hmmmm.
I made salmon, pasta, cauliflower and a salad for dinner. I steamed the cauliflower and put a cheesy curry sauce over the top. Boy did I get compliments on that one. Cauliflower is a standard food here in Norway, but it’s always just steamed, served with no sauce or other flavorings. I was a bit worried that I dressed it up a bit too much, but everyone loved it. It was in the discussion of all the foods that are steamed here in Norway, that I found out there is a new appliance now available for purchase – a steamer oven. Just put the food in, and the oven somehow steams it right in the serving dish, and out it comes, ready for the table. It’s the latest thing and all the new kitchens being built now have one. Go figure. I’m not sure that would be a top seller in America, but the women tonight were pretty excited about it.
I woke up with a huge to-do list today and only accomplished half of it before I had to start getting dinner ready. Kory accomplished much on his to-do list but was a little disappointed he didn’t do more. He recaulked the kitchen counter and bathroom shower door and put new grout in some missing places in the bathroom floor. He also finished putting up all the trim pieces on the new wall and bought all the material to make me a little towel rack for some cool retro towels I got from Tante Ruth. He still has several items he feels rushed to get done, but such is life. One step at a time.
We are still unsure what we will do with our condo when we leave. We found out the hospital would be happy to use our apartment for visiting doctors, but they want us to have individual agreements with each one, as they don’t want to be responsible for its use. That’s not exactly what we want, so we will keep putting the word out there until something fits. The Good Teacher Inga told me her friend is living in England for a year and she just up and left her house, all the furniture as is, and got an agreement with an air ambulance company to rent it out for about $2,500 a month and they will only use it every now and then. That kind of thing would be EXACTLY what we are looking for, so we just trust God to drop something like that in our laps. But the clock is ticking. I’m not stressing about it though because based on past experience, I know that God is rarely early, but He’s never late.
(The photo today is one I took holding my arm in front of the windshield while Kory was driving last Saturday. I couldn’t even see what I was aiming at, but I knew what was in front of us. I thought it was a better picture than another one of us sitting around the dining room table with our company. It's hard to take a bad photo in Norway.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment