We met up with cousin Kari this morning to talk about “our” mutual interest in taking the Hurtigruten (Norwegian coastal ferry – see photo) up to the top of Norway and back down again next year. It will be our 20th wedding anniversary (isn’t that incredible?), and Kory has always dreamed of taking such a trip. Personally, I feel we’ve seen the best of the Norwegian landscape already when we took a three day trip on that same ferry almost two years ago up to the Lofoten Islands, but Kory often sees things differently from me. Unless I have family or friends to visit, I hate going back to a place I’ve already been on vacation. I like to visit new places every chance I get.
Kory likes to play victim from time to time, complaining that I call all the shots in our relationship, but he fails to remember the times he won’t budge an inch. This is one of those times. (And the time we bought a certain apartment building in Seattle. To this day, I still don’t want to own it.) This trip next year is very expensive and there is nothing I hate more than “cruising.” This isn’t exactly a cruise, but in a way, it is. Nine days on a ship doesn’t provide enough action for me, and even though it’s stunningly beautiful scenery, I’m not looking forward to it all that much. The only thing that makes the trip tolerable is that we are going with other people (the more, the better), so at least I’ll have someone to talk to, should the opportunity present itself. (Ha! There will be nothing else to do!) After twenty years of marriage, Kory and I have pretty much talked about everything there is to talk about. He likes to sit and drink coffee, relax and watch the world go by. This is the perfect opportunity for that. But me, I’ll be like a caged animal, pacing back and forth, wondering when I can get out. I might need a vacation after we get home.
Cousin Kari and her husband Axel are coming along on the trip, which is nice because they flew over from Norway to be witnesses at our wedding way back when, so it sort of connects the dots for them. We also might have some second cousins and a few other folks from Norway and America joining us. We get a ten percent discount if we have over ten people go, but otherwise it’s high season, full fare, and that is also not my idea of a good time. I like bargains, even when I travel. But this is Kory’s deal and Lord knows, there won’t be any changing his mind. We picked out our dates (June 11-20) and which boat we will go on, and I’ll be making the deposit next week. (Oh, to have such problems. Sometimes I admit, I lose perspective.) Kaleb will stay with his school chums that week, I’m sure, as he’s already made it clear, he’s not going.
While Kaleb was at school today, we ran into town for a couple errands. I did a little more second hand store shopping and bought some wonderful treasures, none of them costing more than $1.40 each. It lifted my spirits. I also went to the library to find a particular book pertaining to the family farms I visited yesterday, but I couldn’t find it. That bummed me out. We rushed back to get Kaleb from school and head out to Solevaag to have an early dinner with Kory’s mom’s cousin, Oddrun, and her husband, Oskar. That filled me up. We were there for five hours, talking Norwegian non-stop. That wore me out.
Kaleb had a sleepover tonight with his friend, Daniel, so Kory and I were home alone all evening. Kory vegged out for the first time in front of the TV. I tried to use the internet to help find the missing piece of information I need to connect the dots in this family tree I’m researching, but I had no luck. It’s been rainy and windy all day and night and when I sat outside to try to get the wireless signal from the library, the wind was blowing the rain all over my keyboard and the gusts were so strong it nearly blew my laptop out of my arms. I had to give up and go inside to do something else, so I worked on editing my blog from last year. I am nearly out of “inventory” for my feature column, “Nuggets from Norway” in the LaConner newspaper back home, so I need to get busy and catch-up. For some reason I thought I’d have nothing but time when we were here in Norway to work on that project, and maybe even be done with a book by now. Ha. What was I thinking?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment