Monday, June 15, 2009

The Countdown Is On


Another sleepless night last night made for a good excuse not to go to school today. I tried to sleep in, but couldn’t. I had to get up and make Kaleb’s lunch so I just stayed up and enjoyed a good cup of Starbuck’s coffee. It helped only a little. I’ve been in a daze all day. I don’t know why I’m not sleeping, but it’s definitely a trend I hope stops soon.

Kory’s employer didn’t have work suitable for him today (meaning, all the work they had would kill his back), so he got to stay home today too, except Odd’s bedroom remodel was calling. Kory didn’t think he’d have time to drop the ceiling before we left, but since he had today free from his other job, he was able to put a smile on Odd’s face. He was gone all day.

Once Kaleb was off to school I used the quiet time at home to get a few projects done. I updated all our “exit instructions” I call them – what to do if we both die at the same time. With all the unrest in the world, venturing out into Europe might not be the safest thing we can do, so I want to be prepared just in case. The last thing I want to think about if I’m on my way out – is that I didn’t tell anyone what to do with my grandmother’s china. Ha ha, but kinda true. Once Kaleb was born both Kory and I updated our wills and wrote as much information as we thought would be helpful to someone that might have to clean up after us, as it were. So at least that task is off my plate and I have a few more years before I have to worry about updating that file again. I also used the time to sort through some pictures. I’m sure I’ve taken over ten thousand photos since being here and I’m trying to pick out some of the better ones in case anyone is interested in seeing them. What a job. They always say computers make our lives easier, but I think it’s way more labor intensive to sit and sift through photos I wouldn’t have taken in the first place if I knew I had to pay to get the roll of film developed. It’s just too easy to point and click with a digital camera, when it’s “free.” But the time it takes to sort through them afterwards is way more costly than photo processing. We can always get more money, but we can’t always get more time. Time is a finite thing and we never know when ours is up. Ugh.

I wanted to pack up Kaleb’s room today but realized I needed his input to do it since I don’t know what he wants to take home, what can stay here, what he needs for the road trip and what he wants to get rid of, so that project had to wait until he was home from school and done with his homework. But now his room is nearly empty so I feel good about that. He came home pretty excited today as his homework plan showed no homework after Tuesday, so he sat at the table and did all of today’s and tomorrow’s work and then let out a whoop and a holler that he will NEVER have homework again because it’s back to homeschooling! I’m glad he’s looking forward to that.

I had to use a little time today to clean the house because tonight I hosted the Bible study group I started attending just recently. They are a fine group of women from the Filadelfia Church (see photo – taken at 10:30pm tonight – notice how light it is outside) and we had a nice time together tonight, “soaking,” praying for each other and reading the Bible. They all wanted to pray for me to thank God for having me in their group – then they prayed God would bring me back to Norway soon. I wonder how God handles those prayers when I know there are some in America praying we come back there and don’t leave again. It must be a tough job to be God.

Kaleb and Kory went over to visit the Tantes tonight while I had a house full of women. Kory offered to take Kaleb bowling or swimming or to the movies or fishing, bike riding, for a drive… he kept on and on with the suggestions and Kaleb didn’t want to do a single one. Finally Kory said if he wouldn’t pick something then he would decide himself, so he decided they would go visit the aunts. Kaleb flipped out. He screamed and slammed doors and carried on like it was the end of the world. He absolutely, positively did NOT want to go visit the aunts, but he had to anyway. Ya snooze, ya lose. He brought along a couple of books for entertainment while Kory was busy chatting away. Kaleb was not a happy camper.

We have just ten more days here in Aalesund before we drive out of town. I’m wondering what the next chapter of our lives will be like and just how much we’ve been changed by this experience, without even realizing it. Hopefully it’s all for the good.

No comments: