Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Misunderstandings


I got my laptop back today from repair, for the second time. Oh happy day. I hope it’s really fixed this time as there is no time to send it in again. We have only two weeks left before we move out and start our road trip. Our calendar is filling up fast.

Good-byes are never easy, or fun, but sometimes there’s a party and good food involved so it sweetens the sorrow a little. Tonight there was a little party for us for our last Connect Group meeting (home fellowship group). It was sad to say good-bye because we really like getting together with that group from Agape Church. One of them said it is just “gruesome” that we have to leave. (That’s a word that sounds and means the same in both English and Norwegian but here it’s used to express feelings, not just gory movies and murders.) Kory reminded our group that Bethany Covenant Church, our church back home, sent us to Norway as missionaries. Our group leader tonight said Agape Church should send us back to America as missionaries, but then they want us back here again. It really is hard to say good-bye. I’m glad God found a use for us while we were here though.

My Pal Vestina told me in class today that she read my blog. She liked what I said about her but she disapproved of the photo I used. She wanted me to replace it with a nicer one of her off her Facebook profile, just in case there are any single men that might want to meet her. She’s too funny. I told her I was sure there is no one reading my blog that would be her cup of tea, but she insisted I change the photo anyway. It is easier to add it today than change one from a few days ago. I think she’s a lot prettier when she smiles, but she likes this photo the best (I bought her those earrings in Rome.) Most of her photos on Facebook are quite sexy, so I’m thankful she wanted me to use this one – which is suitable for all ages. That girl can pose!

Kaleb had his field trip with his classmates into the city this morning. I went out during my lunch break to see if they were up on the mountain behind my school, and I found them taking their lunch break in the park right next door. It was fun to watch Kaleb playing with other kids when he didn’t know I was there. I walked over to him and he gave me a big hug and kiss, right in front of his classmates, which thrilled me to no end. He then started crying when he told me his teacher told him that pop, candy, cookies and snack crackers are not allowed in school lunches. I normally pack him two open faced sandwiches (the norm here – just buttered bread with something on top – cheese, salami or ham), a sliced up apple and a peeled carrot. Every once in a while he’ll get some pretzels. Today, I knew, was special, so I put a bottle of pear flavored pop in his backpack (his favorite), a piece of candy and some snack crackers along with his sandwich, just for a little treat. I guess his teacher talked to him about it and what upset him the most was that all the other kids were eating cookies and crackers and some had pop. He was devastated at the injustice that he couldn’t have it but others could. I apologized to his teacher for giving him forbidden food and she said she had told him those things are not NORMALLY allowed, but it was OK today because of the field trip. He hadn’t fully understood all her Norwegian – he just heard the part that it wasn’t allowed so he stopped eating his lunch because of it (I love that kind of obedience!)

I thought about that situation for a while and decided it reminds me of when I read the Bible sometimes and I don’t fully understand what it’s talking about. If I did, then maybe I’d get all the treats that come with the main course too, but my limited knowledge of spiritual things sometimes keeps me from enjoying all of God’s blessings. There are so many mysteries yet to be uncovered. The Bible says in Corinthians that “Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully…”. I’m going to enjoy that day of full understanding even more than Kaleb enjoyed his pop, candy and crackers today after he found out it was okay to eat them. (But I’m often in the same boat as Kaleb – I hear and understand the Norwegian words, but I totally miss the main point.)

Kory was home the whole day making fish soup. He was so meticulous in the process. When I got home he had all the ingredients chopped up in near perfect uniformity, each item in their own bowl like on a cooking show. When the time was right, he added them to the soup base. Too funny, but I love that he’s experimenting and teaching himself how to cook. He’s come a long way, baby. I spent the afternoon packing more boxes and baby, I still have a long way to go – in more ways than one.

No comments: