Friday, June 26, 2009

And We're Off...


Some people might describe the inevitable ferries one must take along the coast of Norway as “charming”. This morning I would have described them as “inconvenient.” We were up early, ate breakfast in two gulps without even finishing our good cup of American coffee, and were quickly out the door to catch the first of many ferries on the road south out of town. We even waited to brush our teeth until we were on board. Only then did I realize I left my computer carrying case back at Odd and Turid’s house. I had my laptop with me, but many other important things were in that case – including the battery chargers for our cameras. And a road trip which doesn’t include me taking thousands of pictures along the way is no road trip at all. I was sick to my stomach. It couldn’t have been a rougher start for my meticulously planned journey. It cost us an hour, but that was a big hour so early in the day. I stayed on board the ferry for its return while Kory, Kaleb and the car got off on the other side of the fjord. Turid was gracious enough to meet me back at the ferry dock and hand over the precious cargo. I was so disappointed in myself, but somewhat thankful it wasn’t Kory or Kaleb who left something behind. Kaleb was already upset with me that I forgot to pack his favorite stuffed dog he’s had since he was two years old (given to him by my brother’s family). That dog has gone on all our trips with us and as Kaleb says, “He’s a good traveling companion.” (We know he has no broken bones because of the number of times he’s been x-rayed by airport security.) Kaleb cried a few tears until I told him there might be another dog in his future – stuffed of course.

The day was unusually hot but the kind of beautiful one comes to expect in Norway, and is rare in all other places on this planet. We went on Route 39 to Bergen – a road we’ve been on a few times now. Each season brings a different appearance to the all familiar terrain. In winter, the way the ice is formed and the minimal lighting makes it a unique sight. In the summer, the wild flowers and the bright blue skies make the exact same scene appear completely different. Even with the loss of an hour today, we made it to Bergen on schedule. Kory drove like a maniac and fortunately, didn’t get caught. I nearly died a few times from close calls, but surely angels were watching over us. I think he was dreaming of driving a race car very fast around tight corners, and I only let out a screech once or twice along the way all the while praying for traveling mercies. I think Kory misses his Studebaker Avanti back home. Kaleb entertained himself in the back seat reading books and watching movies. We spent so much time in tunnels he had to keep a flashlight handy.

We stopped in Bergen for dinner by the harbor and a little walk around town to stretch our legs. Kaleb didn’t find any stuffed dogs as a suitable replacement for “Brownie,” so the search will continue. It was a five ferry day, which makes for a decent road trip since we are in the car an hour, on the ferry for 20 minutes and in the car for another hour until the next ferry and on it goes. The ferries are also the best public restroom system Norway has going because otherwise, it’s just a bush or a rock providing the same service with no toilet paper or flush. We timed all the ferries well except the last one where we had to wait over an hour, but it was just as well since the last 50 cars didn’t get on board and had to wait two hours for the next one. The harbor where we waited was gorgeous with little boat shacks nestled in between the cracks in the rock walls near the shore. It’s beyond describing. Ice cream helped pass the time.

When we finally arrived at Austevoll - the island of our destination (we are attending Bent-Jarle’s wedding here tomorrow – Kory’s cousin’s grandson whom we love very much), Kory insisted on programming his GPS system to help find the way. I nearly lost it. There is only one road on this island and it goes right past the guesthouse where we are staying, but there’s something about men and their gadgets. It’s not like I didn’t have a map. It wouldn’t have been so bad to have him playing with that thing if he wouldn’t have also been driving at the same time. I keep telling him he needs to lead by example and that sure wasn’t something I wanted Kaleb to see. I decided it was best that I drive and before he could even punch all the buttons on his little “toy,” we magically arrived at our destination without the assistance of GPS or a map. Imagine that.

For the next two nights we’re staying next to a very quaint harbor at a Guesthouse (see photo). We have a suite complete with kitchenette overlooking the sea. The family is all here now and after a few hours with them tonight out on the deck drinking wine and talking about all our hair-raising experiences we had getting here, I had to cut out early (at midnight) to feed my blog addition. They all thought I should just skip today, but they don’t understand either.

No comments: