Friday, August 22, 2008

We Have Our Boxes!


Big day today – the boxes arrived this morning and we collected them from the warehouse at 9:30 tonight. It helps to know the owner of the shipping company, as Kory was at work all day today, and Kaleb and I were in school – so we had no time to run out and pick them up. The shipper was in a meeting all afternoon so we anxiously awaited his call to say when he could meet us at the warehouse. Kaleb was jumping up and down all over the place, he was so excited to see his stuff again (mostly his stuffed dogs). I am thankful to have a few kitchen things (like a garlic press and potato peeler) but also for the umbrellas I packed as I got caught in a bit of rain yesterday. Kory is thankful for his box of hand tools so he can start tinkering again without having to run here and there borrowing tools from different cousins. Oh, the little things in life make it so sweet sometimes.

Kaleb and I both absolutely loved school again today. Kaleb talks most about recess and all the fun he has there, which is great. His English teacher called me today to introduce herself. She told me, “He’s a clever boy,” and she said he was already well entrenched with the social scene there – kids were waiting for him to be done with her so they could play with him – I love that. He brought home a 4th grade math book – easy stuff for him so he was laughing at what they call “work.” I hope all his schooling is that easy as I’d rather have him concentrate on the language – reading and writing Norske – and the social aspect of being here - rather than anything academic.

I tried to finish up mowing the lawn here (there must be at least a half acre of grassy space – the photo shows about 1/3 of it), but the blisters on my hands from yesterday slowed me down a lot and then it rained so I gave up for today. I can’t wait to see this piece of property once the ground is actually visible. Currently there are rows of raked grass lining the place and everyone that passes by just stares at the difference (where’s our Home Fellowship group when you need them?). One guy came by on his bike last night and asked who to contact about buying up these houses (I guess you can actually see them now that the waist high grass is gone). Kory told him the name of the attorney then he lit into me about wanting to buy them before someone else does. I’m completely against it as it’s taking on a huge risk because we don’t know what the ground will do in the future – how much more it will sink, plus it would mean at least a million dollar loan and I rather enjoy not stressing about making payments to a bank. These houses are high quality – too high I think to have as rentals, but Kory thinks if he rents them out for five years then sells the package deal he could double his money. I disagree as I see it as an opportunity to lose everything we have if somehow the houses start cracking apart. So Kory is beside himself. He thinks we are missing out on some God-given opportunity that could be a huge blessing --and I say I’m the God given blessing by keeping him from buying it.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Hello Mickey!
I have caught up on all of your adventures after our family vacation. Sounds like everything is fabulous! I love to hear about both of your schooling and Kory's new job. The community sounds so "cozy", with so many relatives of Kory. You must feel so welcomed! Glad to hear your boxes arrived safely and you have your garlic press. Happy to say we climbed our mountain. The kids and I made it to 5300 feet before Taylor got dizzy and a bit dehydrated, Dave and his bro made the summit at 6200--fabulous views. We also took naps when we got home--95 degrees that day! The Back to School Blessing is tomorrow (Sat.) We have been prepping at the church all week and planning since Jan. God is so good and we have 550 boxes of food and 550 bags of frozen food to give away in addition to everything else!! My bro at Love, Inc. hooked us up with Clearlake Covenant and my family (parents) helped stuff boxes on Monday night (sans DJ). Taylor has found her calling and thinks it was one of the best nights of her life. She worked for almost 4 hours as we had to unload them all at the church at 9:30 at night. (Each box had 2 onions in it and we didn't think about the smell until they were all crammed in room 402 with an INTAKE vent directly above them). Thank goodness the pastoral staff has grace for the smell of onions and for us "save the world" folks. Seriously, though--please pray for the event tomorrow. We expect 1200+ people. We have a prayer team, Bibles, and pastors walking through to pray for people, but I want some serious seeds planted for the Kingdom! Gail wants your email address, before I forget. Well, I am off to make a "gourmet" meal of chicken salad. It is hot tonight-yippee. We miss you all and home group. I just saw Benita (she is helping me tomorrow in the kid's area), made me miss home group even more. Well, continue to keep us updated. I will pray about your house situation....Didn't the builder remember the Sunday School song about the foolish man building his house upon the sand, bog, marshland?.......Glad to hear Kory is stabilizing it. If Jason were there, I am sure he would have a tool or contraption to do the trick. Ha!
God Bless
Anne ;)