I was up late last night unpacking boxes so I’m a bit sleep deprived. I had to get up too early to catch the bus into town for my Norske class. I’m still learning things about getting around on a bus route 618. Yesterday the bus was early, so it stopped short of where I wanted to get off and waited five minutes before continuing on. I just got off and walked the extra few blocks to class so I didn’t waste the five minutes. Well, this morning the bus was running late so it just stopped to let people off and took off again. Based on how I read the bus route, the stop after that “waiting” stop was my stop and the closest I could get to my school (although I still need to walk several blocks to get there.) So, this morning I stayed on the bus after that one stop where the driver gets his bus back on schedule, expecting it to turn the corner and go nearer to my school. But the darn bus just went straight. I thought it was going to take a different route to get to the same location, but it didn’t – it just kept going straight. Then I thought it was going to head over to the big bus terminal by the library but it didn’t – it just kept going straight. I think I was in shock being sleep deprived and all, and finally, when it was well over a mile away from the heart of town I saw another Bus 618 heading back into town so I jumped off the bus I was on and ran across the street to catch the other bus, but it took off just as I got on the sidewalk. Then I was standing there feeling like an idiot for staying on the bus so long. I knew I was going to be a few minutes late this morning, but certainly not half an hour! I walked very fast back into town and around the harbor and over to my school, then up four flights of stairs to get to my classroom, huffing and puffing all the way (thank goodness it wasn’t raining), only to find out my class was cancelled because the teacher was sick! Uff da. But it was a good news/bad news situation for me. I didn’t want the embarrassment of being late, but then I was bummed that I had made such a huge effort to get there!
For exercise, I used to get up every morning and walk a mile down to my neighbor Wendy’s house then she would walk back with me. Since I’ve arrived in Norway, I’ve yet to feel the need to walk anywhere just for the sake of exercise, as walking is how I get around here – I walk a mile to the store – I walk several blocks to and from the bus stop – I walk over a mile to Kaleb’s school -I walk half a mile over to a cousin’s house – I walk, walk, walk. I’ve already dropped one pant size, so I’m not complaining but some days I wish I could fly.
Because my class was cancelled I got home extra early from town today, which turned into a huge blessing because then I could unpack all the other boxes (not a thing broke in transit!) before Kaleb got home from school. I did all his birthday and Christmas shopping before we left and I tucked them here and there in the boxes so I was a bit worried he would see things before their time. No worries – everything was out of sight by the time his smiling face came down the driveway. He got to ride his bike to school today so he felt pretty empowered and it showed. He loves the freedom here – to go for long bike rides, be gone over a mile from home, play all day – it’s the kind of life Kory and I had growing up – but American kids don’t really have anymore. He spent all afternoon with Sabina cutting up some of the big cardboard boxes and making little houses out of them.
Kory enjoyed his day off today. He needed to rest his back as it was pretty sore yesterday. He helped me hang things up on the wall so now our house is looking more like home. I’m amazed at all the things I brought and how well they go with the furniture we were given here – even the blanket I bought for Kaleb to snuggle up on the couch with – the color is identical to the pattern on the couch – little things like that which I know are not just “coincidental.” It’s fun to see God in the details.
For exercise, I used to get up every morning and walk a mile down to my neighbor Wendy’s house then she would walk back with me. Since I’ve arrived in Norway, I’ve yet to feel the need to walk anywhere just for the sake of exercise, as walking is how I get around here – I walk a mile to the store – I walk several blocks to and from the bus stop – I walk over a mile to Kaleb’s school -I walk half a mile over to a cousin’s house – I walk, walk, walk. I’ve already dropped one pant size, so I’m not complaining but some days I wish I could fly.
Because my class was cancelled I got home extra early from town today, which turned into a huge blessing because then I could unpack all the other boxes (not a thing broke in transit!) before Kaleb got home from school. I did all his birthday and Christmas shopping before we left and I tucked them here and there in the boxes so I was a bit worried he would see things before their time. No worries – everything was out of sight by the time his smiling face came down the driveway. He got to ride his bike to school today so he felt pretty empowered and it showed. He loves the freedom here – to go for long bike rides, be gone over a mile from home, play all day – it’s the kind of life Kory and I had growing up – but American kids don’t really have anymore. He spent all afternoon with Sabina cutting up some of the big cardboard boxes and making little houses out of them.
Kory enjoyed his day off today. He needed to rest his back as it was pretty sore yesterday. He helped me hang things up on the wall so now our house is looking more like home. I’m amazed at all the things I brought and how well they go with the furniture we were given here – even the blanket I bought for Kaleb to snuggle up on the couch with – the color is identical to the pattern on the couch – little things like that which I know are not just “coincidental.” It’s fun to see God in the details.

No comments:
Post a Comment