Another absolutely gorgeous day here in Norway. Before we got here, the almanac predicted Norway would have the best summer in 150 years, and it seems that may be the case. It’s been blue sky and sunshine almost every day since we arrived. Hallelujah.
Our neighbor girl Sabina came over this morning as we were getting ready for church. It was her 10th birthday on Thursday, so today was her party. She was all dressed up and looked like a princess. Kory invited her to church so she came with us. During the coffee hour after the service a few people came and talked to us and as it turns out - one of them was best friends with Sabina’s mom. She said she got goose bumps when she saw Sabina in church, as she’s been praying for her and her mom for years. Sabina loved being at church and said she wants to go with us again every time we go.
Our neighbor girl Sabina came over this morning as we were getting ready for church. It was her 10th birthday on Thursday, so today was her party. She was all dressed up and looked like a princess. Kory invited her to church so she came with us. During the coffee hour after the service a few people came and talked to us and as it turns out - one of them was best friends with Sabina’s mom. She said she got goose bumps when she saw Sabina in church, as she’s been praying for her and her mom for years. Sabina loved being at church and said she wants to go with us again every time we go.
Kory talked to some of the neighbors today – actually, they have been coming over to lend a hand here and there as we work toward cleaning up the yard. One old lady came and helped rake up the grass, another old man came and helped us move some things headed for the dump. Apparently they are all so relieved that we are living here and taking care of these houses. One of them said they were very afraid that “blacks” would be moving in here (that’s what they call anyone with skin darker than a Scandinavian). Norway is required by the European Union to take in refugees from around the world, so they divide them up and make each Kommune take on so many. Since the Aalesund Kommune ended up paying out the land owners here for allowing the building permit on this bog, they are partial owners in this project. The neighbors were worried the Kommune would be placing some of the refugees in these houses, which they may do yet – we don’t know. But at this point, it seems we are the heroes of the neighborhood. (The prejudice in this country toward some immigrants is unbelievable.)
Kaleb was at Sabina’s birthday party for several hours today (there were 12 girls – and Kaleb) so Kory and I used the time to put in a nicer patio in front of our house. Out our living room door we had a step that was a bit too far down for my comfort level, and there were several pallets laid out as the “patio.” That patio wouldn’t have been too offensive in itself, but it was covered by a lovely green astro-turf kind of carpet that was as tacky as tacky gets. So I got the pleasure of tearing it up and we replaced it with some wooden squares people use here on decks that improved the looks of things tremendously. And we moved some decent steps from another unit over to our house so I don’t have to hold onto the door handle for dear life every time I “step” outside. (I’m sure the step wasn’t so far down a few months ago, but remember, we’re on “sinking sand.” Everything looks much nicer now, although not quite up to Kory’s standards, but you can’t be picky when you are a scavenger.
I cut Kaleb’s hair this morning – something I have never done in his entire life – but he needed it. (I wasn’t about to pay $50 for a haircut here.) I bought a ten dollar hair cutter kit before we left home and I’m now sure it was a wise investment. I was a bit nervous, but I think I did pretty well for a rookie. Kaleb complained an awful lot about my technique as he felt too many pulled hairs in the process. After I was done and he saw himself in the mirror he said to me, “The service wasn’t that good, but the quality is okay.” Kory probably feels the same about many other things I do. I’m working on that.

No comments:
Post a Comment