Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Our One Month Anniversary


We arrived a month ago today and still haven’t received out I.D. numbers – which means we still can’t get a phone or internet access in our home. Ugh. I’m about to die without the internet. I haven’t been too faithful in posting my blog every day because I have to walk half a mile carrying my laptop to do it and I’ve been tired of walking lately. For a while, my laptop stopped picking up wi-fi signals but one of the cousins reset something and fixed the problem, so I’m good to go again.

Kaleb learned how to play Cricket in school today and was apparently the star player as he made the biggest hit in the game. He also started in a soccer league after school at the sports center just a four minute walk from our house. They go year round here so it will be an adjustment to have him gone 4:30-6:00 every Tuesday and Thursday – with games on Saturday. These Norwegians are crazy for their soccer (fotball). I’ve been trying to set a date for a Thank-You party for all the cousins who have loaned us things to use while we are here – and I have to schedule the party around the Aalesund Soccer team’s game schedule, otherwise, no one will come. They’ve been like that about the Olympics, too. One woman on the sand volleyball team is from our neighborhood – her parents live just down the street. There is a huge national pride around Norway’s performance in any kind of competition. When competing in the Olympics they don’t care so much that they win, the just care that they beat the Swedes. It’s okay if they come in 4th place, but the Swedes better come in 5th or they are humiliated. And if you ever consider the number of Olympic medals won by the Norwegians and then you factor in that they only have a pool of 4 ½ million people to pull from – they have to have the highest per-capita success rate of any country in the world. They are a determined lot - and they have succeeding in using that stubbornness for good, rather than evil, in the case of sports.

Kory worked today again on Giske and he’s tired. I’m glad he’s only working two days a week as his body would never last if it were more. And I had another great day at school today and now I have homework. I had to write a paragraph about myself in Norwegian – four days in class and we are reading it and writing it already! Here’s what I wrote:

Jeg heter Mickey og jeg er femti år gammel. Jeg bor på Myrland nå men jeg kom fra Amerika for en måned siden. Jeg er gift og min mann heter Kory. Vi har ett barn, en gutt som heter Kaleb. Kaleb er ni år gammel og han går på skole hver dag, på Blindheim barneskole. Vi skal bo her i Aalesund i ett år og jeg skal lærer mye norsk. Jeg er en forfatter.

Who knows how my grammar or spelling are, but it’s the best I can do. Kaleb looked over Hege’s 9th grade English homework and he found five spelling and grammar errors that her English teacher didn’t even catch. I guess he’ll soon be checking my Norske homework too. (The photo today is Kaleb and his teacher.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going use that "Norwegians use their stubbornness for good rather than evil" line on Dave--in the interest of marital harmony (he will answer that it's tough being married to a Norwegian!)

Kaleb is looking so grown-up! And his hair looks great...