Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!


30 April 2013


I guess I won’t whine about the rain, since we woke up to snow on the ground and it snowed off and on all day today.  Things can always get worse.

Kaleb has complained the last two days of a sore throat.  This morning, based on the moaning I heard coming from under his covers, I knew he wasn’t any better.  I let him stay in bed all day and once his math was done, he watched TV and played on his computer.  He has no fever or other symptoms, but I loaded him up on Vitamin C and echinasea and will trust he’s better by tomorrow, which sadly is a national holiday (Labor Day) and it would be nice if he could spend it with his friends, but not sure if that will happen.

Kory and I bit the bullet today and headed down to the tax office for the long wait to see someone about how to properly fill out our tax return.  We got all the t’s crossed and I’s dotted and I hope we’re good for another year and maybe we won’t have to pay any additional taxes – but that jury is still out until we get our corrected statement in the mail.  At least we got our questions answered.


Today was the first day with nothing on the calendar and I was looking forward to a day at home with no where to go and nothing to do, but it didn’t shake out that way.  I had to grocery shop since all the stores will be closed tomorrow, and I am most thankful the Norwegian government subsidizes organic produce so it’s exactly the same price as regular.  More and more organize produce is coming, too, so I’m always surprised when I actually pay less here than in America for organic… apples for instance are 4 for $1.50.  I think I pay close to a dollar for each organic apple at the co-op back home.  Can’t understand it, but I love it.

Friends stopped in unexpectedly (below) for a visit late this afternoon, too.  I should know by now to have cookies or cake or something always at the ready, as it seems dropping by is a major pastime – which I actually love – but hate it if I have nothing prepared to offer them. 



So we had some social time today and a lot of time spent watching the snow out the window.  I packed up two suitcases full of dishes and other household items I want to take back home, and I have plenty more yet to pack.  We haven’t been too aggressive yet about renting out the condo, but we will hit it hard by the end of May if nothing else has come up.  I hate to start un-decorating our place, but I must. 

We stopped by the thrift store on our way home from the tax office and there were only a few things I couldn’t live without.  It’s my only thrill, so I need it at least once or twice a week or pure depression sets in.  So many treasures, so little time.

I couldn’t believe we didn’t turn the heat on all day today – or at all since we’ve been here for that matter.  Our condo is so well insulated, I guess, as it’s been right at freezing all day outside, but our place is toasty warm.  Gotta love that kind of efficiency.



Kory has been drawing a little today. He keeps trying to draw faces, but they just don’t turn out right.  He needs to stick with buildings, as he’s good at drawing those, but he likes to challenge himself.  He can tell if it’s any good if I’m able to recognize who he is drawing, but today’s face remains a mystery, but going to bed is a sure thing.  I'm beat.

No comments: