Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Service Day


29 April 2013




Both Kory and I spent our day in service to others.  It’s not a bad gig.  Kory finished up the bench he was building for Turid and then installed it.  I spent the day in the kitchen over at Philadelphia Church helping Cousin Kari make food for the Jesus Women event tonight.  I cut up lots of veggies for pasta salad and thankfully, didn’t cut a finger.  I’m still working with one finger out of commission, as I squished my right pointing finger pretty good before we left for Norway.  It really should have had stitches, but I’m a stubborn lot and felt it would heal fine on it’s own.  It really hasn’t, but at least it didn’t get infected.  There’s still a huge open gap with lots of dead skin around it and my best friend is a bandage, keeping it dry and safe.  Oi.

I left one kitchen for another as I had to come home and make food for Kory and Kaleb.  I decided Shepherd’s Pie was on the menu so I had several pots and pans going on the stove for different aspects of it and when I opened the spice cupboard to get something, I’m not sure exactly what fell out, but it was glass and it shattered on a glass bowl sitting next to the stove.  Glass bits flew everywhere.  At least they weren’t shards, they were tiny round bits, but they got in all the pots and pans on the stove and all over the floor and countertop.  I couldn’t have been more ticked.



I picked out all the glass I could see, then had to go tell Kory and Kaleb my dilemma.  Food is so darn expensive here I hated to throw out all the food on the stove.  I asked their opinion and they both said they would just eat carefully, rather than throw it all out, and if a bit of glass was in there, so be it.  Talk about living on faith!  But we made it through dinner with no cut lips and no apparent glass in our food, but everyone was eating rather gingerly.  So far, so good.  Just glad we didn’t have company coming.

So then I was back at Philadelphia Church for the Jesus Women meeting and stayed for two hours to help Kari clean up the place.  It’s after 11pm and I’m beat. 

Kaleb woke up today complaining of a sore throat so he’s been doing homework all day at a snail’s pace, then turned on the TV for several hours tonight just to veg out.  It was out last day of partial sunshine today as the weather turns tomorrow.  I so wanted to at least go for a walk, but that didn’t happen.  Oh well, we helped others and not ourselves.  I just have to look at it as if I suffered for Christ’s sake, somehow.

No comments: