Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A Glorious Day


28 May 2013




I thought today would be rather relaxed and I was looking forward to sorting through my treasures and figuring out which ones to take home and which ones to leave here.  I wasn’t up even an hour before all those plans changed.  I was able to snap a photo of all the rosmaling things I bought, though.  (Photos to follow of my other treasures.)  The trunk we bought was only $40 and it’s from 1904.  I can’t believe people don’t want this kind of stuff!



I got a message from my friend Tina asking if I wanted to go on a walk with her.  With the sun shining out the window, I couldn’t think of an excuse not to, so I walked away from the mess I’d created in unpacking things and figured I’d be back shortly.  Well, that didn’t happen.  Tina and I took a good long walk on a trail I hadn’t been on before and we chatted away and enjoyed all the nature God put in front of us. When we got back to her house, she asked if I’d help get her pots planted with flowers she bought too long ago. 



Normally everyone has their decks and yards ready for summer by the 17th of May, but Tina and her family decided to go away for that long weekend and she never got around to it, even though she had all the stuff.  So she was running a week behind and needed to get the plants in larger containers and I was happy to help.  Three hours after I left the house, I returned, only to have Kory sitting in the car waiting to drive me into the city.



Kory and I want to volunteer for a few weeks working on “The Miracle House” in Aalesund (above) before we leave Norway.  They hope to open up this summer.  It’s the only house that didn’t burn down during the fire of 1904.  It was purchased and given to Philadelphia Church and they are going to use it as a tourist attraction/prayer house/café.  We are so excited to be part of this whole deal and to have time to help get it ready.  So today Kory was meeting with the pastor of the church to see what work still needs to be done.  We had an appointment to meet him there so I barely made it home in time for that.



The inside of the house is nearly fully restored but some final things need to be done with the café kitchen and lots of work yet outside.  The house has been painted inside and out and stairwells rebuilt.  They are putting bathrooms out the back and a veranda off the café, so that’s what Kory will be working on.  I’m going to be washing ceilings, walls and floors for a few days getting all the dust off things in preparation for moving in furniture and fixtures.  I couldn’t be more pleased. 



So we met with the pastor, got the once over on the house and we were back home for just enough time to change clothes and head back over to Tina’s house, since she invited us over for a GRILL tonight.  Woo hoo!  The Norway summer has begun when the weather cooperates enough to have a bar-b-que.  Kaleb was also thrilled to have extra time with Daniel.



We got over to Tina’s at four and didn’t leave until after midnight.  We had an absolutely delicious meal out on her balcony (view above is from there).  She has a friend from Thailand that made a sauce that beat anything else I’ve ever eaten.  It was good on everything!  So everyone ate until they couldn’t eat anymore and after the sun went behind the mountain we went inside for cake and coffee and a long chat. 

Tina’s always bragging about Pookie’s back massage abilities so I asked Pookie to just massage my shoulders a bit since they were still under pressure from driving on Norwegian roads home from Bergen.  Next thing I knew I was lying face down on the floor with my shirt off and she was pushing her elbow into the hard spots on my back.  I must have been there an hour as she gave my back one heck of a workout.  It was heavenly.  And boy did I need that. 

I can’t believe this woman.  She comes over to Tina’s house to cook her a meal, then she cleans it up and afterwards gives massages!  This is why the Norwegian men are falling for Thai ladies… they are all about serving.  I felt badly for her not being able to relax but she said over and over again it’s what makes her happy, so I couldn’t argue with that!  We had a great evening but the mess I’d created earlier was still waiting for me when I got back home.  It’s obvious that Pookie hasn’t been to our house.


No comments: