Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Last Day of 54



The sun was peeking out between the clouds this morning and the skies didn’t look too threatening, so just after Kaleb was off to school, Kory and I left the house in search of a walk.  We decided to go around a lake we’d heard about that’s less than 10 minutes drive from our place.  We weren’t disappointed.

The rain came in spurts here and there but nothing dramatic until we got home, thankfully.  So we were treated with spots of sunshine and got to enjoy time out of the house, fresh air, and a new trail.  It was heaven.  And anything new to take photos of is good by me.

After our walk we drove out on a long dead end road, just to see what was there, and found another trail head, so that will be a trip for another day. 

I hosted a Bible Study group tonight so I had to go buy some groceries and make food this afternoon.  We all ate leftovers for dinner so I didn’t have to cook, which was OK by me.  The rain came down hard all afternoon and I was so thankful we were able to enjoy the outside while we could this morning.

Kaleb came home a little wet but was beaming that his chemistry teacher allowed him to explain to the class the answer to the question of the day – which was why oil floats on top of water.  Kaleb didn’t know all the Norwegian words for his very scientific explanation, but the teacher let him explain it in English while he translated.  Kaleb was very satisfied with himself because of that, so he was pumped up when he came home.  He’s also on page 14 of the book he’s writing and is so excited by its progress.  I am amazed at the answered prayers we’ve seen for that boy.  Now I’m working on the faith to believe God will heal Kory’s heart problems just as well as Kaleb’s social problems.

I spent a few hours on the internet today helping a college student from LaConner find his Norwegian roots.  The funny thing is, most everyone I found in Norway was from Holland or Germany, working in the shipping trade down in Bergen a hundred or so years back, so he’s not as Norwegian as he thought.  Funny.

Today I found out that my grandma died yesterday at the age of 93.  I talked to her briefly last year and she wasn’t too thrilled about hearing from me, but that’s the way it’s been for most of my adult life. It is what it is - and life goes on.

We had a nice discussion during the Bible study tonight about serving God with our menial daily tasks, and everyone was in agreement with me on how hard that is to do.  But I reminded them of the Bible verse that unless God can trust us with the small things, he won’t be giving us the big things, so our attitude makes all the difference.  I’ve been told that many times, but I think it’s finally sinking in.  Hallelujah for that – that I’m not too old to change.

Tonight I spent time figuring out a very complicated ferry schedule as tomorrow is my 55th birthday and I’m going to celebrate it with a “ferry trip” out to the western most island around here.  The last few legs of the journey we’ll just walk-on since the islands are so small they don’t need cars, so rain or shine, it should be an interesting day.  Kaleb is skipping school to join us, which makes my heart glad.  Now if Kory would only make the food to take along, I’d be even happier.  Oh wait a minute, that’s not the right attitude to have!  What was I thinking?

No comments: