Saturday, September 1, 2012

A Day of Prayer


Kristin’s prayer group met this morning so I didn’t have much time for anything before I was out the door and off to her house for a few hours.  Those women sure know how to pray, and pray we did.  Kristin said when we were praying for revival in Norway, she saw a vision of something similar to the Titanic, where people were dancing and partying and having themselves a gay ol’ time, not knowing what lie ahead.  That would certainly apply to life here in Norway.  They have it so good they can’t even think that life may be any different.  Oh, how I pray for this land.

Kory was busy today getting the new curtain rods installed.  Of course, he had to take down the old ones first, and he wasn’t too happy about that since they are such high quality rods and we are replacing them with cheapo ones from Ikea.  But the problem is, the rods that we had were for curtains that hung from the little clips on the rod and we have curtains now with big holes in them that slide through the rod freely and don’t need to be opened and closed with the end strings.  The other rods looked awful with these new curtains, but we couldn’t afford to change them out until we got them so cheap in Sweden.  I think they look much better but Kory was miffed in doing the job.  It took all day, and he wore braces on his wrists so thankfully, he made it through without incident.

Kaleb had to self motivate for the morning to get through his schoolwork.  I went with him to the church to hear him practice piano when I got back from the prayer meeting, and I enjoyed another rousing discussion with Liv while I waited.  She told me all about the Christmas and Easter programs the church puts on for the community.  It sounded somewhat like what our church back home does, but they had over 2,500 people attend last year’s Christmas show, so it’s quite the deal.  A big Hallelujah for that.

I was running from one event to another today as I had to go pick up Kaleb’s friend, Daniel, right after the piano practice was over.  Daniel’s parents went hunting for reindeer this weekend so I offered to take Daniel.  As it turns out, there was a Jr./Sr. High church retreat this weekend, so I just had to get him from the ferry and drop him off at the next event.  He just completed an overnight trip up in the mountains, with his classmates as the schools like to train kids in all kinds of outdoor activities, somewhat like the Boy Scouts do.

Daniel’s entire class went with their teacher up to a cabin in the mountains.  They all made a four-hour hike yesterday to the top of a very high peak and they were graded on how well they did.  This is typical Norwegian style education.  They also take all day long bicycle trips and other outdoor adventures throughout the year.  They are very much into experiential learning. 

I checked the website for Daniel’s school to see what his school schedule looks like and his subjects are: Religion, English, Math, Science, Norwegian, Social Studies, Art and Handworks, music, food and health, PE and “work” practice.  In the 8th or 9th grade (maybe both), the kids are all turned loose to work for an entire week at a real job of their choosing.  This is part of the experiential education everyone in this country gets.  I remember last year our old neighbor Tobias, worked out at the airport.  I think he moved luggage around or something, but they all have to do something and many of the employers in the area participate.  What a great thing.

So I sent Kaleb and Daniel off on the bus for a retreat weekend with the Philadelphia Church.  There was a bus full of kids and I think only three girls in the midst of all those boys.  Kaleb was by far the smallest one so I hope he survives 48 hours with the big boys. (self portrait below)


Kory and I attended an “Hour of Power” prayer meeting at Agape tonight after dinner as they are two weeks away from a big all weekend seminar they are hoping does mighty things in this area for people’s relationship with God.  It was a powerful time of worship and prayer and I cried through most of it as my heart just breaks for how the locals here think of God and the church and how much they are missing out on.  I know God’s heart must break too, so I have to believe revival is on the way.

All the photos I took today are of various “collections” I have going from all my thrift store finds.  There is the “vases with handles” collection in the bathroom and the “vases without handles” collection in the bedroom, where you can see the end of one of the new curtain rods Kory installed.  I have my “old canning jars” collection in the kitchen, nearly full of rice and beans, lentils and popcorn, and a few things from my old handmade wood collections.  I also have collections going of soup tureens, cream and sugar sets, candlesticks and bowls, not to mention all the trays, but those are scattered about the house.  I just love them all. 

I didn’t get much done around the house today other than cleaning the kitchen, but at least my day started and ended with prayer, so hopefully I accomplished much in the heavenlies.


No comments: