Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Still Packing...


We took some clean underwear and snacks to Kaleb over at Daniel’s house today.  It felt like we were exercising some kind of visitation rights, since we were there just a short time and dropped off a few things.  He couldn’t be bothered with our questions as to how he was doing since he was glued to a computer screen and inventing some cartoon character to play in a game.  So absorbed.  We barely got a hug out of him and he was off again with Daniel.  Andre was with them all day too and also spending the night there.  They are all wanting to maximize their time together since we leave so soon.  I’m glad he has friends that want to be with him, but sad he’s now entering that stage where they are more important than we are.  Sniff sniff.

I would have spent all day packing and cleaning, but I was a bit busy being social, instead.  I went to a prayer meeting this morning for a few hours at my friend, Kristin’s house.  We decided to have a little “soaking time” to see if we could “be still” and hear from God.  While I was lying there all I could think about was all the things I’ve been sorting through, and which things I’ll hold on to - some I’ll keep here, some things I’ll take back with us to America, some things I’ll throw away and some things I’ll give away.  I heard God say, “Now if I did that with you, what things are you ready to throw away – what things are you ready to give away – what things are you still holding on to?”  It was a good lesson, dealing with certain emotional issues.  I’ve been thinking about that all day.

After the prayer meeting I went right back to packing and cleaning.  Tobias came over to get the keys to our apartment, as he’s agreed to be our caretaker while we are gone.  I showed him where everything is and I’m confident he’s the right guy for the job.  How blessed we are.  We don’t have anything concrete lined up for renting out the apartment, but I’m pretty sure it won’t sit empty for a year.  We have several possibilities in the works.

Tonight I had a party to attend with the women from a Bible group I go to.  It was too much food and too little time, but we had a nice visit anyway and it was a good way to say goodbye to all of them at once.  What a great bunch of women.  I love our social life in Norway the best.  The scenery is drop dead gorgeous, the weather - maybe not the best, but the people – that’s the real treasure of this land.

It’s been raining hard most of the day.  I guess I won’t miss the rain.  We’ve only had three days of sunshine since we got here so we haven’t climbed any mountains or spent time at the beach.  I need to remind myself of THAT so it will be easier to leave, as I’ve heard summer has arrived in Skagit County so I can look forward to some sunshine, anyway.

We got a message tonight that our van’s battery is dead in Seattle, so we need to figure out how to get home on Saturday night.  Good thing we had some warning or that would have been a bit of a surprise we wouldn’t want to deal with after traveling all day.  God will provide a way, as He always does.  We are truly blessed to have such a good life.

No comments: