Monday, June 20, 2011

Five Seconds of Fame


I set the alarm this morning so I wouldn’t sleep in and miss the encounter we had with the MS Nordnorge – the ship that’s beaming 24 hour a day coverage to NRK2 TV here in Norway.  I made a sign with Norwegian flags attached that said HI KALEB and I intended on him seeing it.  I called him a little before eight to be sure he was awake.  He wasn’t.  I had to call twice to wake him.  He tried to turn on the TV at Henrik’s house but couldn’t figure it out so he had to wake up Henrik.  There were a few moments of panic as I saw the ship approaching and he couldn’t find the channel on TV, but finally he saw our ship and we both settled down.  I miss him terribly.

We were told to all go up on the top deck to wave to the other ship, but just a handful of us were disobedient in that regard, and stood on one of the lower decks that faces forward.  It was a good thing.  Kaleb actually saw us waving the sign and Kory’s sweatshirt and the camera zoomed in on me close enough that he saw me head on, talking to him on the phone!  Very exciting for us both.  We talked the whole time our ship was being filmed.  I asked Kaleb if I should go up on the top deck, since he said they were getting more airtime, but he responded with, “No, it’s chaos up there!  I’d never find you.”  And so it was, so we stayed put.

My friend Paula, in Colorado, that stayed up til after midnight last night to watch the live streaming on the internet.  She picked us out of the crowd, too, based on the clues I’d given her on where we’d be.  She sent me a photo of it today, and sure enough, that was us.  Other friends in Washington were also watching the live stream and they did a screen shot and we could see ourselves on the outside deck, so we definitely had our five seconds of fame today (tee hee), as half the country is still watching that program.  And when the going gets a bit boring on the program, they replay some of the more exciting moments of the past, so we’ve been on a couple times today, as I’ve even seen from the TV in our cabin on the ship.  Too funny.

(There's a hole right in the center of this rock.)

We still haven’t had any bands playing when we’ve arrived at different ports like they have, but we sure have been smiled on by God as we’ve had another incredible day of blue sky and sunshine.  I just didn’t get out in it much since I decided to get another article written for the LaConner paper and I needed some peace and quiet in my room to do that.  At least that’s crossed off my to-do list.  Now that we are almost home, I have a to-do list again.  This party is soon over.

Cousin Kari saw a couple of whales a few days ago off the back of the boat and I saw some dolphins jumping in the distance, but other than that, I’ve been surprised by the lack of sea life visible on this trip.  I’ve seen several eagles and other shore birds, but nothing too exciting.  The mountains and islands make up for a lot though and I’m sure I’ve taken several thousand photos, as I seem to average several hundred a day.  Making a photo album is going to be painful - too many choices.

Well, today we docked in some pretty cute towns and we got out and walked around a little, but it’s Sunday so everything was closed.  I’m thinking the timing of this was terrible for shopping’s sake, but Kory was relieved.  He thinks we have no more room for anything anyway, so he wonders why I keep buying so much stuff.  I have a lot of friends, I tell him, but that’s how I justify buying it all, then I have a hard time giving it away because I love it so much, too.  Ugh.

This morning on the top deck they served cod liver oil in a commemorative spoon as we crossed back over the Arctic Circle.  To drown out the flavor, some type of berry wine was offered to wash the nastiness away.  I opted out, so I didn’t get the spoon.  Kory got one though.  Stuart went through the line twice.  He’s got more Norwegian blood than I.  That fish oil taste has a way of coming back on you and I didn’t need any reminders today that I crossed the Arctic Circle.  I know we’re heading south as I’m counting down the hours until we are home. 

Only one more day until we are back in Aalesund!  We’ll be back at midnight tomorrow night.  Kory confirmed with Odd that he has our car and will leave it for us near the dock when we arrive so we can drive ourselves home.  Kaleb will be waiting for us at home, I hope.  I’m anxious to see him.  This trip has been wonderful, but really, at least three days too long for me, maybe more.  I would have liked it better if all the thrift stores we encountered were open when we arrived.  It was just painful to see so many nice things through the window and now be able to buy them.  I had that happen twice today.  I think the rest of the group could just keep on sailing, but I’ve run out of projects to do and I’m getting anxious.  I guess tomorrow I’ll start working on the photo album of this trip as there’s not much else on my to-do list I can accomplish from a ferry.  We’ll be back home in America in twelve days and then I’m pretty sure my to-do list will keep me good and busy.


No comments: