Monday, May 2, 2011

Wishin' the Sunshine Were on My Shoulders



The sun just keeps on shining around here, but today I didn’t get to enjoy it like I wanted to.  We went to church this morning, but then had to get back home and clean the house and start making dinner.  Kaleb wanted his friend Toban to come over, along with his family.  He’s hoping they will come for a visit in America, and we don’t know his parents all that well.  So today was the day to get over that hump, as it were.

I made yummy food, but it took way too long, so I missed out on being out in the warm sunshine.  Kory and I didn’t go for a walk, either.  I tried not to be bummed out about it, figuring I was on a little “mission” for God, but the sun is not a regular visitor to this part of the world so it was tough. 

I had my standard Sunday food emergency and usual amount of stress.  I started making chocolate mousse before church so it could chill all day in the frig, but I was surprised to find I was short one egg (Kory has a way of using up just the thing I need).  Our frig is so small we can’t keep a lot of inventory and I knew yesterday I had enough eggs to make the mousse today, but Kory, in all his questionable wisdom, decided to boil one extra egg yesterday, “just in case.”  There it sat, in the frig, boiled, not doing me any good at all when I needed to be separating the yolk from the whites.  I wasn’t too happy, but on the way home from church we stopped and bought a half dozen eggs.  I was glad I didn’t have to buy a dozen because they were a dollar per egg. Ugh.

Besides cleaning house and making dinner, I had a few other things to attend to that had deadlines, so I had to sit at my computer, when I could have been out walking.  Our local paper back in LaConner asked me to suggest three columns I’ve written on Norway they could submit for a newspaper competition.  I had to look through my past work and get those to them today.  I also got a list of applicants for my scholarship at Clatsop Community College in Oregon, so I had to read through those and send in the name of the woman who gets her tuition paid for this year.  Then the woman organizing the Women’s Aglow meeting in a few weeks asked me to send her a little blurb on myself for their advertisements of the event.  And it all had to be done by TODAY.  So, here I sat, longing for some sunshine on my shoulders, but needing to take care of business.  At least next week I should be getting plenty of sunshine when we are in Turkey!

Kaleb spent the entire day with Daniel today and didn’t even go to church with us this morning.  Tina took them down to the beach for a little “grill” so I couldn’t very well ask him to come home and help clean the house, when he as the chance to be outside.  He was looking forward to having Toban over, but I was a little bummed about his behavior once they all got here.  Toban was very bored with Kaleb, as his little brother brought over his Pokemon cards and Kaleb just sat and played the cards with him, leavning Toban with nothing to do.  Obviously Toban has passed the Pokemon card stage, and Kaleb hasn’t.  Hmm. 

It was so cute when Toban’s family showed up.  His little five year old sister, Sofia, was all decked out in something I’d consider an Easter dress, and I shook her hand and told her my name, then asked what hers was, speaking Norwegian, of course.  She hesitated, hesitated, hesitated… then her mom nudged her and told her to tell me her name.  She turned to her mom and said (in Norwegian), “I don’t know how to say it in English.”  Her mom laughed and said, “Sofia.” 

We had a nice chat with the parents and they know a lot of people we know so it was good to connect the dots.  I inquired if there is a chance Kaleb and Toban could be related, which is a dream of Kaleb’s.  Both the parents come from the same valley across the fjord where Kory’s grandfather comes from, so there’s a good chance of it.  (There’s also a good chance they are related to each other.)  It’s hard NOT to be related to people around here.

(I didn’t take a single photo today, so I’m just popping in a few from the last walk we took at sunset.   The one above is of the sky bridge that connects the two malls we are attached to.  The one above that is the sidewalk that separates us from the mall.  The other two were just from the path we walked.) 

No comments: