I made the ultimate sacrifice today. There was a school wide garage sale going on at the exact same time I was scheduled to give a talk at a Women’s Aglow meeting. That flea market went from ten until two and I had to be at the talk by 10:30. I held out hope that I’d be done by one o’clock so I could get in on the last hour’s ten-dollars-for-all-you-can-fit-in-one-bag deal, but as I sat there after I spoke and prayed for women, I realized it was probably a more worthy thing to do than hit another flea market. I couldn’t rush the prayers, but it wasn’t easy. Such is my addiction now to Norwegian junk. I do believe I’ve developed an obsessive-compulsive hoarding disorder that probably needs some prayer of its own. Uff.
Actually, Kory and I were standing in line at that school this morning a good 15 minutes before they opened. I was hoping to be first in, first out, but many beat us to it. I knew I only had a few minutes to walk through there, so I grabbed just a few things – some old canning jars ($2 each), a brand new blender ($10) and some doilies ($10), and we were out in less than ten minutes. It wasn’t enough time for me, but based on the wave of people that came in after us and filled that gymnasium, I knew there was no going back. Such is life. On our way out, we bought a cozy little knotty pine cupboard ($8) that fits nicely above my desk, and then we were out of money. Oh, how I sacrificed today, but God honored my efforts at Women’s Aglow, because the Holy Spirit was certainly on the move in that meeting!
I was honored to ask to speak on the subject of faith today. I have a little bit of experience in that regard so it was an easy talk. I’ve been praying all week for this event and this morning, first thing I saw when I woke up, was a rainbow across the sky (see photo). I took it as a message from God that He does indeed keep His promises, so I knew the day was going to be good. Some women that came, really needed to hear the message, and that was my prayer. God did a number on some of those women, and set them free from all kinds of anxieties and fears - so Hallelujah for that. I just hope He does a number on the hole left in my soul because I missed perhaps my last chance for a good old-fashioned garage sale! Just kidding.
Andre and Daniel were home all morning with Kaleb. Andre left around three. Kory went across the street and did a little volunteer work at the Philadelphia Church because they had a big work party going on. I’m sure the boys were glued to their electronics and didn’t know if we were home or not. Andre left to go spend the night with his grandmother, who lives near us. Kaleb’s good friend Toban, joined him. Toban has yet to spend the night with Kaleb, so I’m not sure what the dynamics are there, but Kaleb doesn’t seem too upset by it, so that’s good. Our time is running short and I’m not sure they are all realizing that yet.
It rained most of today so I wasn’t motivated to go for a walk. Shortly after I got home this afternoon, Roar Bjerknes dropped by again with something he wants me to take home and give to his friend, Larry, who lives in LaConner. He stayed on for another great visit and told us even more stories from his journalist days and the efforts he went through to get his Vietnamese wife out of her homeland. She was the first one to leave Vietnam after the war. He showed us a big magazine article written about them and all they went through at that time. I feel terrible for him that he’s suffering so much with health problems now. He needs to be out once again, reporting on all that’s happening in the world. He’s quite a guy.
After dinner, Kaleb and Daniel put together a solar powered model of a Viking ship that Kaleb’s had in his closet for at least a year. Kaleb was so not interested in that, but when I made them stop their electronics they were desperate for something to do. It was Daniel’s initiative to get that thing put together as Kaleb’s never shown any interests in models, much to Kory’s dismay. Sometimes Kaleb can be a real pill. Go figure.
Roar told us the new 3D “Thor” film was spectacular, so tonight Kory took the boys next door to see it. According to the boys, Roar was right. I stayed home and concentrated on what we need to pack for our trip to Israel on Tuesday. I can’t concentrate on stuff like that with any kind of interruption, so it was time well spent and twenty bucks saved by me not going to the movie. We are now packed and ready for our next adventure. Woo hoo!

No comments:
Post a Comment