Just as the plane touched down in Aalesund, Kaleb yelled out, “We’re home! We’re home!” He couldn’t be more excited and I find myself a little giddy as well. I wish I knew what it was, but there is certainly a sense of belonging here unlike any place I’ve ever lived. Hallelujah, we made it back!
We had an easy flight to Iceland, without a hitch. The seats were comfy and extra wide and the video on demand made the time literally fly by. We had a quick stop in Iceland to catch the flight to Oslo. Kaleb managed to sleep about an hour, so I was thankful for that. I think I closed my eyes for about five minutes and Kory was awake the whole time. We are all a little rummy right now as it’s 9:30 Monday morning Seattle time, which means we’ve pulled an all-nighter and we still have a few hours before we can go to bed in Norway, hoping to adjust to the time zone quickly.
We also have to stay awake to await the arrival of our luggage. Our flight to Oslo got in a little late so we had to run to catch our connection to Aalesund. The ticket agent at the airport said not to wait for our luggage, just get on the plane and file a missing luggage report when we land in Aalesund. We did that, so now we are waiting for it to arrive. It’s all just gifts and household decorations anyway so it’s no big deal, but we really can’t fall asleep until they deliver it. We love that we actually get to sleep in our condo tonight – for the first time since we bought it in 1999.
Most of Aunt Ruth’s things have been moved out with her to her new room at the assisted living home, but there’s still quite a bit to sort through and figure out who wants what. I’d just as soon toss it all out so I can start unpacking tomorrow and getting settled, but I doubt it will happen that fast, so patience is a must.
We hadn’t been on Norwegian soil more than five minutes when Kaleb started whining about wanting to be with his friends. As Kory sat and had cake and coffee with Tante Kari (it’s her 82nd birthday today), I drove Kaleb over to his best friend Toban’s house. Now there was a happy reunion. I left him there a few hours while I went and got some money out of the bank to fill the tank on our van (at $8 a gallon – so it was nearly $150 to fill it), and pick up a few things for breakfast tomorrow (another $70 gone in an instant.) It’s a good thing we love it here so much, otherwise the prices would make me crazy, as I’m back in “sticker shock” mode.
A snow storm just blew through town. It hailed earlier today, but we’ve also seen the sun quite a bit. All the ground is white though because it’s pretty darn cold right now. I even love the ever changing weather.
Kory stopped by to ask his old boss if he’d give us a bid to put up a wall in our condo to make a bedroom out of part of the living room (as it was originally designed.) He said he’d try to come by tomorrow, but he’s pretty busy and he asked Kory if he’d go back to work for him. Maybe Kory will trade some labor to help offset the cost of the wall, as we do need to get Kaleb his own bedroom.
The “house” is so quite now that everyone is gone. We were greeted by all the cousins earlier today as most of them gathered for Tante Kari’s birthday. Now it’s just us – Kaleb lying on the floor in what will soon be his bedroom, reading books he’s already checked out of the library, Kory in the kitchen making room in some cupboards for our food, and me sitting in the living room on the computer. Life is simpler here, even with a big to-do list because we don’t do anything alone. All the cousins have already offered to help build the wall, move furniture, get us settled. It takes a village to settle down a Norwegian.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment