Thursday, May 20, 2010

Building Walls

I walked Kaleb to the bus stop this morning to be sure he got on the right one. He did. He was with Sabina all day today at school and came home very tired because a lot of his “school work” included physical activity, so that was good. He said the school was a bit boring, but he was proud the teacher gave them a math assignment and he was able to complete it first. He survived the day. Halleluljah.




Kory was able to put the wall panels up today on the frame he built yesterday for Kaleb’s bedroom wall. (See photo… the sun is shining brightly through the windows, but you can see the “step down” idea I had.) It was exciting to see how my plan looks, now that it appears nearly finished. Tomorrow he’ll need to wallpaper and paint it. They don’t texture walls here, they use a fiberglass wallpaper that has a sort of woven fabric look to it, which they paint over. Personally, I hate white walls, which we have here, but I’m going to live with them for a while. Kaleb wants the inside of his wall painted orange, but I don’t think he realizes just yet he won’t see an inch of it, as it will be taken up end to end with a closet and shelving. The wall happened quicker than I expected, but slower than Kory hoped. Everyone that stopped by today thinks it was a brilliant idea because it didn’t make the living room seem at all boxed in or smaller, yet it provides privacy to Kaleb and it blocks the view of his bed from the living room. It think it is a clever design, if I do say so myself and I’m quite pleased with it.



It was yet another gorgeous day here on the coast of Norway, but again, I didn’t get out much. I was off early this morning to a prayer meeting that lasted three hours. We had a FANTASTIC time in soaking prayer, then praying for one another. I had some incredible visions while I was praying for people that were very specific and meant a lot to each of them, so it felt good to be used by God in such a way. I hated to leave, but I was invited over for coffee to my friend Tina’s house. She wanted me to see the new kitchen they put in since I was last here. We chatted for a few hours then her son, Daniel, came home from school so I brought home to play with Kaleb (they are friends). Kaleb loved spending all afternoon literally running around our place with him. They discovered having so many flights of stairs makes playing tag a real hoot. Kaleb used the elevator a time or two and I noticed some of the old folks that live around us sat and watched them play. I was hoping they were enjoying the kid energy, not disgusted by all the noise they were making.



Tonight I nearly forgot I was invited to attend a women’s home fellowship group meeting. I was praying for Kaleb as he went to bed for the night at 8:40, and then I remembered I was supposed to be somewhere at 8:30! I rushed over to the meeting, and there they all patiently sat, waiting for me before they started. They were supposed to meet last night but they shifted it to tonight because I was busy last night, so I felt even more terrible that I was late. Norwegians are very forgiving and tolerant people so no one was offended or upset. We had a great time of prayer and Bible study, good desserts and coffee, and I’m so glad I went, until that coffee kept me awake til after midnight (when I’m writing this.) The nap I took this afternoon probably contributed to the problem as well when I took a little time this afternoon to sun myself out on our deck (I quickly fell asleep in the heat).



One of the most common sights on a sunny day in the whole of Norway, is people sitting out on their decks or patios, soaking up some sunshine. They know how to get their Vitamin D, as they sit with much skin exposed. It’s VERY normal for women to be sunning themselves (or walking around the neighborhood, even) wearing just a bra on their top half. I kept my shirt on and sunned just my face, even though it was hot enough I could have gone shirt-less. There is an old woman that lives below us and over one unit that I often see sunning herself. It’s not a pretty sight. She has enormous boobs and her bra only contains about half of them. All I can think about is that BBQing on our deck is not allowed because the smell offends people, but then I wonder why they allow everyone to sun themselves in such a way. I’m so American.

No comments: