Sunday, May 9, 2010

Losing Track of Time

Kory and I enjoyed a much needed leisurely morning today, drinking coffee and taking our time to attend to the day’s agenda. The house was quiet with Kaleb gone. It was raining a little too, so all the more reason to stay cozy warm inside and relax a bit.




I finally decided I was tired of stepping over messes and boxes and piles of things so I unpacked every last box and just threw things in cupboards and closets. If any door is open now, an avalanche is assured, but at least from the outside, our little home is starting to feel wonderful. I’m ready for company now. Kaleb’s room is still a disaster zone but I can overlook that as it’s not in my flight path as I zoom from one room to another.



A little after noon today I realized if I didn’t get to the store soon, there would be no bread to buy, as they only make enough for one day at a time and by late afternoon there isn’t a loaf to be had (as we found out Friday). With all the stores closed tomorrow, I needed two day’s worth, so I had to stop my incessant putting-things-away mode, and go shopping for a few food items. I saw two people I know at the mall, which has been my average each time I’ve gone. It’s a small town, so there always needs to be enough time factored in for a short visit to be polite. No one is ever in such a hurry that a quick “hello” will do.



Later, Kory decided to join me in my daily run to the second-hand store to see if I could find some plant stands and shades for some light fixtures. We are also now in the market for some kind of art work to go above the couch, so he wanted to be sure we were in agreement on that one. We got there at 2:05, and it closed at two o’clock, so we just missed it. We drove into downtown Aalesund to visit a few more second-hand stores and we got to one by 2:25 and had five minutes to shop before they closed. We managed to buy a light fixture for the hallway, a beautifully wooden carved spoon to hang on the wall, and a small copper bucket for a kitchen decoration. I waste no time. We then headed to the stores that sell new things, in search of a bunk bed set for Kaleb’s room. We found one we like but were unable to buy it because I forgot the code for my Norwegian bank card, so I have to wait until I get that, or enough cash to pay for it. Hopefully by Monday we can start clearing out Kaleb’s room and get that in order.



We didn’t hear from Kaleb all day, so we knew he was having fun. We were invited to a Confirmation at noon today – the daughter of one of Kory’s cousins – and we were so engrossed in what we were doing at the time, the time just slipped by and we missed it. Major faux pa in the Norsk world. We were also invited to the coffee/cake hour at six o’clock tonight – the party that follows a Confirmation, so we were sure to get to that on time. We almost didn’t make it because we had to dig for proper clothes and shoes to wear, find the ironing board and iron, and get ourselves somewhat presentable. Confirmation parties are as formal as they get around here so we couldn’t go looking like our usual grungy Northwest native selves.



As I was sitting at the party, someone wheeled in this ancient looking old woman and I was trying to figure out whose great-grandmother she must be. It took me several minutes, but then I realized it was Tante Ruth! She’s changed so much in the months since I last saw her, I didn’t recognize her AT ALL. She’s gotten way too thin (she used to be rather plump), and she’s aged dramatically. I went over to give her a hug and say “Hi” and she just kept moving her head closer and farther away trying to see who was standing in front of her. She couldn’t see me at all, and I kept yelling in her ear that it was Mickey, but she just shook her head and said she didn’t know who was there. It broke my heart. (See photo of Kory and I with her – she didn’t even know she was having her photo taken.) This was a big outing for her – to go to a Confirmation party, as she’s been invited to many of them, but would never venture out of her apartment. She’s been a recluse for many years, so it was really something that she was there tonight. It almost didn’t matter where she was, her world is about the same wherever she goes if she can’t see or hear a thing. Tough stuff.



Kaleb finally called me about 8:00 to ask if I’d drive him to his next sleepover. I left the party to go pick him up and he was so exhausted from lack of sleep last night, he nearly fell asleep in the car during the five minute car ride. He asked if it was OK to not do two sleepovers in a row because he was so beat, so we drove up to his friend’s house to explain the situation, and as it turned out, it was fine with him because he had to unexpectedly babysit his younger siblings – so he got a rain check on the sleepover with Haavard. Good thing.



I took Kaleb back to the party and had to explain the situation to everyone, as he was dressed like a rag-a-muffin with dirty sweats, one sock on and one sock off (it got muddy), dirty shirt and hair sticking out all over the place. All he cared about was the cake and pop as he hadn’t eaten dinner. He started falling asleep in my lap before finishing the first piece of cake, so we headed home soon thereafter. Otherwise, it was a nice party as we got to see lots of relatives that live in other parts of Norway.



Today was the first day no one stopped by our home. Most relatives were busy with the Confirmation festivities. Kaleb has decided he wants to come back and live in Norway when he’s 14 so he can be Confirmed here. It’s quite the motherload of gifts and cash, but I’m sure the cost of the party far exceeds anything the kid’s get. Confirmation parties are more like a “coming of age” party in Norway – where they formally celebrate the life of the child. Not long ago, the 15 year old Confirmant, was considered an adult and free to do as they pleased. I think Kaleb is already there.

No comments: