Today was Kaleb’s day – all day at Legoland in Billund, Denmark. We had perfect weather for such a thing – not too hot, not too cold and no rain. It didn’t have any real thrill rides like the other amusement parks we’ve been too, but it’s still an impressive place to go just to see everything made out of Legos. The other cool thing about this park, and others we’ve been to in Europe – they let everyone bring in their own food and drinks. Legoland even provides free little carts to haul the ice chests and kids around. And as Kaleb says, “It’s a park not just for kids – but for the WHOLE family – because they allow dogs!” Every amusement park we’ve been to – dogs have been part of the experience. It’s funny to see the small ones in little tote bags going on the rides with their owners. Some of the parks even have special places for the dogs to hang out – I love that. Dogs are also allowed in restaurants and shopping malls and stores all over Europe – so it seems they are very dog friendly here, which makes our outings all the more pleasurable when we can see “adora-dogs” all day (Kaleb’s term for adorable dogs.)
We went to Legoland in San Diego four years ago, so Kaleb remembered some of the things there that were similar to the one here. There were enough differences though it wasn’t at all boring. The rides were geared more for littler kids here but Kaleb didn’t complain – he looked for the good in everything – which I appreciated. Legoland had two rides that I think are a step ahead of other amusement parks because they allow the children to have total control. One of them is a robotic arm with a seat at the end and each person gets to program the arm before they sit in the seat and the arm does what it’s been programmed to do. I wouldn’t go with Kaleb as I knew I’d spend most of the time upside down and spinning around, but Kory bit the bullet and lived to tell the tale. The other ride I so appreciated was driving real (mini) cars on real (mini) streets. It’s not like Disneyland where it’s impossible to go off course – each kid is given a driving lesson first and told about the rules of the road and then turned loose. I think it’s more entertainment for the parents than the kids – watching them run red lights and smash into other kids (although it’s not bumper cars and they are warned not to crash). Kaleb did very well signaling and obeying the traffic signs for the entire twenty minutes of the ride (they allow reservations so we didn’t have to stand in line.) At least there is some real life application to it and they were all issued driver’s licenses at the end. Kaleb was so proud.
Another ride we all participated in was at the fire station where eight fire trucks race across a big area (powered by hand pumps), then we all jump out and pump the water hose, all the while trying to hit the water into a hole in a second story window of a “burning” house. When there is enough water in the hole, the window closes and the firemen jump back into the fire truck and pump their way back to the fire station. Surprisingly, we won our round by a long shot, but then Kory and I had to sit down for quite a while and catch our breath. It was such a hard work out I was a little afraid Kory was going to have a heart attack. Kaleb didn’t understand our dilemma because all he did was aim the fire hose, but we were wiped out afterwards.
By far the best thing about Legoland is looking at all the mini cities made out of Legos. They so accurately recreate cities and towns, it was easy to recognize them without even reading the labels. Most of the cities use millions of Lego pieces and would take one expert Lego builder twelve years to build. They all had working parts whether they were windmills, airplanes, boats, cars, trains, or trucks moving along the pathways. One even had real working locks and moved boats up and down from a lake to a canal. I could have stood all day just looking at the details. Kaleb recognized the streets from Bergen (see photo), Copenhagen and Amsterdam right away. As he was studying the display of Copenhagen he started walking down the harbor and before he could even see it, he said, “The Little Mermaid should be right HERE!” and sure enough – there it was – not visible unless we stood right in front of it. I was impressed – and also when Kory found the restaurant where we ate lunch that day.
I feel so decadent on days like today. All my childhood I dreamed of going to Disneyland but never did, so I remind Kaleb that other kids aren’t as fortunate and don’t get to do even once, the things he gets to do in abundance. I’m not sure he fully appreciates that reality on one hand, but on the other, he’ll probably have a dozen dogs when he grows up because I wouldn’t let him have even one. Life just isn’t fair sometimes.
We went to Legoland in San Diego four years ago, so Kaleb remembered some of the things there that were similar to the one here. There were enough differences though it wasn’t at all boring. The rides were geared more for littler kids here but Kaleb didn’t complain – he looked for the good in everything – which I appreciated. Legoland had two rides that I think are a step ahead of other amusement parks because they allow the children to have total control. One of them is a robotic arm with a seat at the end and each person gets to program the arm before they sit in the seat and the arm does what it’s been programmed to do. I wouldn’t go with Kaleb as I knew I’d spend most of the time upside down and spinning around, but Kory bit the bullet and lived to tell the tale. The other ride I so appreciated was driving real (mini) cars on real (mini) streets. It’s not like Disneyland where it’s impossible to go off course – each kid is given a driving lesson first and told about the rules of the road and then turned loose. I think it’s more entertainment for the parents than the kids – watching them run red lights and smash into other kids (although it’s not bumper cars and they are warned not to crash). Kaleb did very well signaling and obeying the traffic signs for the entire twenty minutes of the ride (they allow reservations so we didn’t have to stand in line.) At least there is some real life application to it and they were all issued driver’s licenses at the end. Kaleb was so proud.
Another ride we all participated in was at the fire station where eight fire trucks race across a big area (powered by hand pumps), then we all jump out and pump the water hose, all the while trying to hit the water into a hole in a second story window of a “burning” house. When there is enough water in the hole, the window closes and the firemen jump back into the fire truck and pump their way back to the fire station. Surprisingly, we won our round by a long shot, but then Kory and I had to sit down for quite a while and catch our breath. It was such a hard work out I was a little afraid Kory was going to have a heart attack. Kaleb didn’t understand our dilemma because all he did was aim the fire hose, but we were wiped out afterwards.
By far the best thing about Legoland is looking at all the mini cities made out of Legos. They so accurately recreate cities and towns, it was easy to recognize them without even reading the labels. Most of the cities use millions of Lego pieces and would take one expert Lego builder twelve years to build. They all had working parts whether they were windmills, airplanes, boats, cars, trains, or trucks moving along the pathways. One even had real working locks and moved boats up and down from a lake to a canal. I could have stood all day just looking at the details. Kaleb recognized the streets from Bergen (see photo), Copenhagen and Amsterdam right away. As he was studying the display of Copenhagen he started walking down the harbor and before he could even see it, he said, “The Little Mermaid should be right HERE!” and sure enough – there it was – not visible unless we stood right in front of it. I was impressed – and also when Kory found the restaurant where we ate lunch that day.
I feel so decadent on days like today. All my childhood I dreamed of going to Disneyland but never did, so I remind Kaleb that other kids aren’t as fortunate and don’t get to do even once, the things he gets to do in abundance. I’m not sure he fully appreciates that reality on one hand, but on the other, he’ll probably have a dozen dogs when he grows up because I wouldn’t let him have even one. Life just isn’t fair sometimes.

No comments:
Post a Comment