Monday, July 20, 2009

A Day With No Pictures To Post

This will be the day we all remember the most from our road trip through Europe. We might not remember so much how the day started touring one of the oldest castles in all of Czech Republic or seeing the beautiful countryside on the way there and back (repeatedly - as we kept getting lost and taking wrong turns) but what we’ll remember is that it ended in a police station – all because of a quick stop we made on the way back to our campsite. Kaleb wanted to check out a shopping mall nearby to see if he could find a new game for his Nintendo as he’s getting a little bored with the current ones. We weren’t going to be long – just in and out – and in that time, someone did a “smash and grab” to the passenger window on our car. I blame myself because I left my coat on the seat, and the nearly empty backpack under it (out of view). But they took both my cameras full of photos from last week, my wallet full of credit cards (but no cash), and our passports. I’m just sick about losing the photos.

Before we left on this trip I felt very strongly that we’d have something like this happen and I was worried my laptop (although nearly dead at the moment - but still a valuable asset) would be the target. At least my computer was back at our cabin along with all our other things as I had emptied the van when we arrived in Prague. The one debit card I use to take money out of ATMs, I had with me in my pocket, so that would have been a terrible loss if that was stolen, but it wasn’t. I rarely use the credit cards and I had made copies of them so I called and reported them all stolen before the police report was complete. Getting the window replaced will be the biggest challenge, and I’m not sure what is involved with replacing the passports. I’ll find out more tomorrow when I can call the US Embassy in Prague.

When we first saw what happened, I paced around frantically wondering what we’d do about it and feeling very disappointed in myself that I didn’t take the backpack with me. It was one of those split second decisions – broad daylight – people coming and going – and we’d only be a minute. Kaleb cried but I told him God always works things out for good, and both cameras did have a lot of use on them – now we’ll get new ones. And then Kaleb was quick to point out that my wallet had my keys attached to it and if they would have checked the pocket of my coat, our car could have easily been stolen – so we were all thankful that didn’t happen. We were also thankful we’d gotten travel insurance for this trip so our unexpected expenses will be covered. Our regular car insurance will cover the cost of replacing everything, but we didn’t lose much – just the backpack, my coat, a few umbrellas and the cameras (with batteries and extra memory cards) and some things I bought at the castle. Kaleb was disappointed they didn’t take his Nintendo battery charger because that was one thing we went in the store to buy as his is broken and he thought it might be nice to have the insurance company buy him a new one. I left my cell phone back at the cabin, but fortunately Kory had his along (he hasn’t carried it for days), so I was able to call and cancel all the credit cards right away.

A store security guy called the police for us but we had to wait about an hour before they arrived – then for some reason – we had to follow them back to the station so they could file the report. In all, it took about four hours with the police. Only one officer spoke English, and it was very limited, so I’m not sure he fully understood anything we said. I had a hard time describing the things that were stolen – especially the little lace doilies I bought at the castle. I just gave up on that one, but I showed him the receipt for a new camera I bought while we were waiting for him to arrive – so he understood that ok. (I can’t go a day without a camera.) And my biggest worry at the end of the day was how to get back to our campground. The roads around here are nearly impossible to navigate and after this morning’s adventure trying to find the castle, I was pretty sure we’d be lost for good on the way back from the police station. But just like God sent a pillar of smoke to lead the Israelites, he sent one to lead us, too. At the very moment we were pulling out of the police station, not even sure if we should turn right or left, the number 249 bus passed by. When we realized it was the same bus that we took yesterday from the campground, we decided to follow it – knowing it would lead the way. It was the best gift of all as it got us back home again without a single wrong turn. What a miracle that was.

The last few days Kory has been talking to a guy from Denmark staying at the campground. He was very helpful tonight as he loaned me his laptop to find out the address and phone number to the US Embassy. I’ve been using the computer in the camp office, but often it’s busy, so I was thankful to check my e-mail and Facebook accounts and check out a few things for tomorrow. Also the guy that runs this camp checked on the internet for us and told us there are no passenger windows for our car in the whole country, so it will be at least three days to get a replacement window, which means we will drive to Germany in hopes of finding one. He also told us the shopping area we were at is notorious for this kind of break-in, especially with foreign license plates as they know people can’t take everything with them into the store. OK, so now I don’t feel so bad. We were hoping for a cultural experience, but this isn’t exactly what we had in mind.

No comments: