Thursday, May 14, 2009

There Was Good and Bad Today

We had a big test today in class so I opted to go to a prayer meeting instead. I guess if I would have prayed more (or done my homework), I could have faced the test today, but as it is, it would have been a waste of time to go. Instead, the prayer meeting was quite thrilling, so I know I made the right choice. Those Praying Women really know how to pray. I love that I get to be with them a few times a month and today there were reports of many answered prayers, so that was encouraging. We also used more time for “soaking prayer” where we just lay on the floor and try to hear the voice of God in the stillness. It was so powerful today! I had a vision of a broken clay vessel that had been glued back together (which is how I often feel) and then I saw something shiny being poured into the pot so the inside looked perfect, smooth and radiant. I asked God how I can get the outside of the vessel to look the same as the inside and he said I couldn't. I then realized it was the glory of God that was poured into me and it’s only through the “cracks” that His glory can come shining through. I liked that vision a lot. Another woman had a vision too and hers was very powerful as well. It’s so fun to get together with women that love to get closer to God.

I decided today was the day to buy our return tickets back to America, but after sitting on the computer for three and a half hours and trying every website I could think of to buy the tickets, I gave up. I even called a few airlines and got no where. I did find out that because of the “economic crisis,” Scandinavian Airlines has dropped Seattle as a destination beginning August 1st, however. I sure wish their website would have said that, as it would have saved me at least an hour trying every possible date to buy tickets from them. Instead it just said I had made a mistake and needed to try again. And Kaleb’s slow computer only added to my frustrations as I’d click on something and have to wait nearly a minute before the screen would paint. I nearly lost my mind. It was in the 70s today and I was inside the entire afternoon trying to do one simple task. Ugh. I was nearly in tears by the time I gave up and Kaleb was in tears when I told him I couldn’t buy any tickets. He thinks he might never see his friends back home again. I assured him tomorrow is a new day and if I call a ticketing agency before 2pm when they all close, I might actually get through to someone. I will NOT take this as a “sign from God” that we are to stay here, however.

We had hoped to spend this afternoon with Tante Kari as she got transferred to a rehab center about 90 minutes from our house and she’s terribly lonely already being so far away, but instead cousin Odd wanted Kory to “help him” put a new door in his bedroom remodel, so that shot that idea. Maybe tomorrow…. And now today we found out cousin Rune (Odd’s brother) is in the hospital. Odd and Rune went out to see their mom yesterday and Rune had to stop three times to pee on the way there. Odd told him to go to the doctor and get his blood sugar checked out and sure enough, it was sky high and he’s now been diagnosed with diabetes. Good grief.

Kory and Kaleb spent an hour over at the bus stop next to our house giving it a new look (see photo). I’m a little bit worried about Kory teaching Kaleb how to do graffiti, however. All the neighbors came out and watched the show. I’m sure the way Kory was dressed increased the entertainment value. One neighbor came and took a photo and sent it in to the local paper. By 4pm it was on their website (http://www.smp.no/) and in just a few hours there were already dozens of comments about it. The bus stop had previously been covered with all kinds of graffiti including swear words and a picture of a red devil. Many people in our neighborhood are glad to be rid of that sight, but some comments on the internet are not so kind. They believe the “clown” should be prosecuted, so it’s a good thing Kory and Kaleb weren’t recognizable in their photo. Kory thinks the whole thing is hilarious but Kaleb is a little worried people will find out he contributed to it. They can always use the “freedom of expression” defense that others have used when caught doing graffiti. We’ll see how far this thing goes, but already it seems to have touched a nerve. The 17th of May parade comes right by our house, so Kory was just adding to the festivities for this time of year, but those in authority might not be so keen on his idea. It certainly is an improvement though as he painted a bigger flag on the backside of the bus stop that can be seen for blocks away. And now all the controversy it has stirred up makes Kory all the more pleased with his efforts. There is a Norwegian word for him that his brother used to call him all the time as a kid – “umulig” – which means “impossible.” And that, he is.

No comments: