I went to class today and had a reading test the first hour. One of the things we read was the rules they have in Norway for leaving a dog in the car on a hot day. Basically, it’s not allowed. What is allowed, however, is breaking the window of the car to get the dog out and taking it to the nearest police station. I thought that was kinda funny. So I guess, knowing your window can be legally broken might be a good deterrent to anyone actually leaving their dog in the car. After our test we went on a guided tour of the local Art Nuevo museum. The man giving the tour was instructed to talk slowly and simply, and because of that, I understood everything he said. It was such a thrill. I’ve been to that museum before but it was fun to have a tour. Our school tries hard to expand our horizons. And The Good Teacher Inga invited any and all to join her after the tour at a café. I was the only one that took her up on her offer, so we had a nice long chat over cappuccino and carrot cake. I loved having her to myself and we shared stories about living in another country as she too took her family to Ireland for a year because she’s married to an Irish Man. She had all the same reasons I did for moving and all the same problems with housing and her boy’s attitudes toward it, so it was fun to compare notes. (Both she and Odd said it was a “sign from God we must stay another year” because I couldn’t buy tickets home yesterday!) We had a “lovely” chat, as she would say, for a few hours, and then I had to go. I took the big leap and drove myself into town this morning and the parking meter was about to expire. There is absolutely NO where to park for free in the city as every street is zoned for permit parking only for the residences there, so it’s mandatory to use pay parking lots when going into town. The parking fee (10 dollars) for the day was still cheaper than taking the bus (14 dollars). Strange.
The comments in the newspaper about Kory’s work of art on the bus stop yesterday just don’t quit. A lot of young people are angry because some of them have had to pay a thousand dollar fine for “tagging” as it’s called here, but mostly, people love the new look. Kory has spent the day admiring his handy work and gloating over all the attention he’s getting for it. One guy wrote in to the paper that it was indeed tagging, but his punishment should be to do fifty more just like it all over the city. Funny. I just hope the police don’t show up at our door. I’m sure the neighbors won’t squeal as they are all so happy with the outcome. It will be interesting on Sunday when the parade passes by our house, to see if anyone takes a picture of it. I know I will.
Kory spent the afternoon over at Odd’s putting up some of the siding on the newly built wall outside his bedroom. He invited Odd and Turid over for a BBQ tonight so we sat out on our little deck and watched the sun go down as the weather was just perfect. (See photo of Kory serving Odd his famous BBQ potato chips – and the bus stop with the flag is visible in the background.) We ate a yummy dinner of BBQd salmon, potatoes and BBQ vegetables (Kory actually grilled up some whale meat for him as he’s going to miss it when we are back home). I love that it’s BBQ season again. Kaleb spent the whole afternoon up at Skåtthaugen playing with his school friends. I finally called him home at 7.30 for dinner but he wasn’t too happy to leave. He should probably just pitch a tent up there or move in with someone.
I spent a few boring hours at home alone, then went for a walk to the store for some groceries. I think I improved my tan a little today, but other than that, the afternoon was lost on me. I should have planned something, but sometimes I get tired of having so many plans. A nap would have been good. It’s going to be a long weekend.

No comments:
Post a Comment