Kory was at work, Kaleb had left for school and the dryer was still tumbling when I walked in the door. Even though I had my Bible lesson prepared, I needed to review it. I also needed to finish up another talk I prepared for Christian radio. Esther, the woman with the radio show, asked if I could speak on her show tonight, rather than Saturday, so I needed to go over my talk on “Giving.” I love that topic the best, so I wanted to be sure I was well prepared. It was nice to have a quiet house.
Kaleb broke the silence as he came bouncing through the door with a big “Hi, Mama!” an hour earlier than I expected him. He was half laughing as he said it, as he thought he was pulling one over on me. I did have to ask why he was home so early and then he revealed his “secret.” Apparently his teacher sent a note home last week reminding the parents that the school schedule has changed, but he kept the note to himself so he could “surprise” me. They dropped one hour of something at school on Monday’s, but I’m not sure what. The notice said “Uke 17,” which means “week 17,” there will be a change in school hours.
The system they use for scheduling things here in Norway takes a bit of getting used to. First of all, all the calendars have Monday as the first day of the week, so that Saturday and Sunday are all the way to the right side of the page. I had to bring an American calendar with me because I just can’t get my bearings straight when all the weeks start with a Monday. And all the Norwegian calendars have a special little column before every Monday showing which week of the year it is. So “week 1” is the week that has January 1st in it somewhere, then every week after that is labeled “uke 2,” “uke 3,” etc. This is uke 17 and the last week of the year is uke 53, so it’s easy to see just how fast the year is flying by. But it’s so weird even in church they will make announcements that “Week 20 we will have a special seminar,” etc. and they will never say what date they are referring to – like everyone knows when “week 20” is. Announcements in the newspaper and all types of communication use this system of just naming the week number if something is happening for more than a day or two. It’s quite different from anything I’m used to, but I could see it would actually work pretty well if I ever got used to where the numbers fall within the year. People here say, “I’ll be on vacation week 30 and 31,” rather than, “I’ll be on vacation July 20-August 1st.” Okay, then. We’ll be heading back to America week 37, but I still haven’t bought our tickets – maybe I’ll do that by week 24.
After Kaleb got home it was pointless to try to study any further, so I resorted to cleaning house. It was a bit out of control as I’ve had other things I’d rather be doing lately, but the laundry was about to take over. Kaleb mentioned this, and I have noticed it too, that people here in Norway wear the same clothes day after day until they get dirty. It’s so odd to see that, but I think it’s part of a tradition that’s comes from the poverty this nation once had and that many did not have more than two sets of clothes – one to wash and one to wear. I so wish Kaleb would adapt to that custom as that kid wears a new outfit everyday and throws them in the hamper whether they are dirty or not.
Our Bible study went well tonight but Ledto didn’t come because she’s due to have her baby any day now so she’s not feeling too hot. Kory offered to take her to the hospital so we should be the first to know when she goes into labor. And I think my talk on the radio went well. In one way I like that I don’t know what people think (so my pride isn’t affected one way or another), but in another way, it’s nice to get feedback. The translator loved my stories anyway. And so did Kory – even though he’s heard them all a thousand times before. I love that he’s my biggest fan.

No comments:
Post a Comment