By the time we ventured out of the hotel, the sun had burned off quite a bit of the fog and we could at least see down the block. Kristiansand has some beautiful old buildings, but not hundreds and hundreds of years old like other towns, as Kristiansand has suffered more than one devastating fire that’s taken out a lot of the downtown area. Most of the buildings were built in the 1800s. The town today was all a-bustle with pre-Easter shoppers and everyone in a hurry to get to their cabins in the hills. We walked the whole downtown area seeing what there was to see. We also had to get a few grocery items as NOTHING will be open the next two days – not even most restaurants, so we needed to get some food to tide us over during this holiday break.
Kory’s cousin, Morgan, lives about an hour from here and he called to arrange a rendezvous with us for dinner. He said he was definitely going against the flow of traffic on his drive into the city, as there was a mass exodus going on in the opposite direction. We had never met his wife, as he is the one and only cousin that moved away from Aalesund when he got married thirty years ago, so it was really nice to spend some time with them. We felt bad we didn’t have more time, but so many things in town were closed today due to the holiday week, that we promised Kaleb we’d take him to the circus tonight, because that was something that was open and he had never been to a circus before. So after a quick dinner with Morgan and his wife, Ruth, we headed for the big tent for an evening of family fun.
I love to hear Kaleb laugh, and tonight I got my money’s worth. He loves slap-stick comedy, and the warm up “clowns” at the circus had him doubled over more than once, he was laughing so hard. I don’t remember the last time I was at a circus, but this one was impressive. The talent of all the performers was incredible but there was definitely a difference between an American circus and one in Europe. For one thing, there was no safety equipment. I had a hard time watching the acrobats knowing that if they lost their grip from on high, they would be killed right in front of us (ugh). I felt the same about the woman who let the elephant step over her and about the fire breathing guy. There were so many dangerous moments I even had to close my eyes a few times for fear I’d see something tragic. But all-in-all it was a great show and Kaleb loved every minute of it. In Norway, after any kind of performance, everyone applauds, but then after a minute or two, they synchronize the clapping so everyone is on the same beat. I’m not sure how they do it, but it happens no matter what the venue – at church, the symphony, a play or the circus. So even though our day started out slow, it definitely ended in a way that deserved much applause – synchronized or not.

No comments:
Post a Comment