Tuesday, April 14, 2009

No More Easter Break

My good friend Paula woke at the crack of dawn this morning in order to get herself ready so she could come with me to school. I thought it would be fun for her to watch me wince in pain as I struggle with this thing called the Norwegian language. She wasn’t laughing too much as she was concentrating on trying to understand it herself. She understands Dutch from when she lived in Holland 20 years ago so she was familiar with some of the words. Our teacher said people from Holland have the easiest time learning the Scandinavian languages because they are more like the Dutch language than any other. So Paula was a good student and very focused, while I on the other hand, just tried to stay awake. I only slept about four hours last night so I was in a fog all morning. I’m so determined to post my blog every day, most nights I’m up after midnight in order to get it done. Uff da. And Kaleb is sleeping in our bed so Paula can have his room and that kid is all elbows and knees, so my sleep was anything but sound.

After school today Paula and I stayed in town so she could experience the city. It only takes a few hours as it’s a small place, but she just had to do it. We had lunch and walked around and enjoyed lots of sunshine and a cool breeze as we made our way over to a second hand store to look for treasures. Paula and I have always liked the exact same things and it’s a sure bet if I buy something, I may as well get two of them and give one to her. We decorate our houses in a similar fashion and sure enough, she bought things at the store that were right in line with what I’ve been buying – candlesticks, vases, decorative baskets and serving spoons – all made from Norwegian pewter. One pewter spoon costs about $40 new, but she was able to get the same thing at the thrift store for four dollars, so she was happy. I found a few treasures there myself and could hear Kory’s voice in the back of my mind saying, “What are we going to do with all this stuff when we move?” (Some of it is going home in Paula’s suitcase and she can ship it to me from Colorado later.)

We stopped at the library to order up the farm record books we saw while we were down in Vestfold, where Paula’s great grandparents lived. I’m hoping the books arrive before she leaves on Sunday. (I love that it’s possible to order any book from any library in the entire country and they ship it for free!) I want to make copies of the pages and translate them for her so she can share the information with her family when she gets home. I also want to see if I can go back any more generations on her family tree, but already I’m back to the 1600s on several branches.

Paula and I made the laborious climb up the 418 steps to the top of the Aksla mountain in town so we could enjoy the view from Fjellstua – the “mountain livingroom” that sits above the city giving the tourists a fine destination point when the cruise ships come to call. Actually, we enjoyed the view from every bench provided between the first step and the last because we were moaning and groaning just a bit more than usual and needed to sit down a lot after our big mountain climb yesterday. My knees weren’t the best and Paula’s feet hurt, so we were just a fine couple of “golden girls” not willing to admit we’ve aged much, but the proof was in the pudding, as they say. I think we might have used an hour to get to the top. I’ve done it in the past in less than 15 minutes, but I had nothing to prove, so we just enjoyed the view as we climbed higher and higher seeing the sights that unfolded before us. It was also good to have some girl talk for a change - and to laugh. Some days, I think I forget to laugh.

Kory broke out the BBQ today after he got home from work. He was so excited to be back in his element Bar-B-Qing salmon and potatoes (which were really tasty, by the way.) Tobias came over to play with Kaleb and stayed for dinner and we all had some hardy laughs as the boys played with words while we ate. Kaleb is not thrilled that he lost his electronics for two weeks because of how disrespectful and disobedient he’s been lately so he’s struggling with what to do with all his free time. He currently thinks I’m the worst mother in the whole world so it’s nice to have Paula here to validate me. Poor Paula, she’s been on the phone nearly non-stop as her job in Colorado provides no break. She manages rental cabins in the Rocky Mountains, so we also share the “joy” of having jobs that are difficult to leave behind. We currently have three vacancies at our apartment building in Seattle (a record for one month), and it’s more than I can manage. Fortunately we have managers back home, but there are things we still must deal with. Paula, of all people, feel my pain, so I’m thanking God He brought her to me just when I needed her most.

No comments: