Monday, February 9, 2009

Test Day


Many things in Norway are extremely relaxed, especially when it comes to education, so it surprised me today when we had such incredibly strict rules around taking the Norsk Prøve 2 test. They were all business and they were VERY strict. It was almost comical as it’s so opposite from all my other experiences with tests here so far. We had to come in 30 minutes early to register, we got our hands stamped after we showed photo ID, we had to turn off our cell phones and store them, our coats and backpacks until the test was completely over. We had to have our ID sitting on our desk at all times and we couldn’t get up to leave unless we raised our hand first and had our work reviewed. It was quite formal but it was clear – they mean business. I guess they want to be sure no one is taking the test for us, so the certificate they hand out afterwards must count for something.

I think I did OK on the written, reading and listening parts of the test. I know I got several things wrong, but I’m pretty sure I still passed. The speaking part was the toughest for me only because the subject they had me speak on wasn’t anything I had “material” for. They wanted me to talk about something I’ve wanted for a long time, how much it costs, how long until I’ll get it, how I’m going to afford it, etc. I didn’t know all the words to say how completely satisfied I am with my life right now and I don’t need or want a darn thing, at least nothing money can buy. They specifically asked about a “thing” and I had to say I have all the “things” I need but I did talk a little about how much I love to travel and that we are going to Rome next week and that’s something I’ve wanted for a while, but I’m not sure I communicated all that too well. My conversation didn’t fit the bill exactly so I’m not sure if that matters as there wasn’t much to say. Uff da. I do know this is a test for just a “basic” command of the language, nothing fancy, so I’m pretty sure I met the minimum for that, but it makes me wish I were better at communicating in Norwegian.

I hate that I missed my Monday “off” this week and had to go into town to take the test, but I’ll take Friday off, as I’ll surely die if I have to be gone from home five days this week. And today we had so much snow, which I would have loved to enjoy a bit more, but I was in the city and far from my cross country skis. I got home after dark and just wanted to “kose meg” as they say here (cozy myself) when I got home. It was cold out there (see photo I took out the window this afternoon at my school.)

It seems Kaleb has made a difference in his world as he said his teacher has taken our suggestion and now makes any kid that hits another, stay in for the next recess. Morten didn’t have many recesses last week and Kaleb came home gloating. Whether the punishment makes any long term difference is yet to be seen, but Kaleb is elated that he was able to do something to change the very ineffective system of just talking to the kids when they hit or kick someone. Kaleb feels empowered, so that’s good. Every day I ask him what he learned at school and he always says, “Nothing.” I gave him algebra homework every day now instead of twice a week because I told him I love him too much to let his brain waste away and learn nothing, so at least he can progress in math. All of a sudden he started talking to me in Norwegian, just to show how much he knows and to make the point he really is learning something after all. He tries hard to outsmart me.

He came home today complaining about his day. He liked the fact they went skating, but he hated that they had “to walk twenty miles to get there.” (He tends to exaggerate every now and then to make a point.) But he’s proud that this week he was assigned the exact same homework as all the other kids because he is finally fairly fluent in Norwegian and he doesn’t need extra help to learn it any more. I wish he could get fluent in obedience, respect and time management. Neither Kory nor I had patience to deal with him tonight as we both had a long day and Kaleb was pushing all our buttons. Kory was particularly crabby and short tempered because he didn’t get enough sleep last night, his back hurt, he had to work in the cold today and then come home and make dinner for himself and Kaleb because I didn’t get home until late from the test. At least now Kory’s able to sit down, relax, draw some pictures and calm down since Kaleb went to bed. That kid is exasperating sometimes. Aren’t we all. This is no way to start a week. I want my weekend back!

No comments: