Sunday, February 15, 2009

I've Had Better Days

For the bulk of today I just wanted to scream. For some reason, Kaleb whined and complained and made every sad and sour face he could come up with the whole day. I hope he’s not getting sick, but he was insufferable today and I couldn’t be happier that this day is over. Tobias even came over to play with him and he wouldn’t go outside – he just sat on the couch with a grouchy look and swore he just couldn’t help himself – that for some reason he just felt crabby. It was contagious. Tobias had the good sense to leave. I guess I should have done the same. Uff da. I tried to take a nap but Kaleb’s whining prohibited that. He sounded like a wounded puppy, just sitting in a lump on the couch making pathetic moans and groans. He doesn’t like being in Norway, he doesn’t like school, he doesn’t want to go to Rome, and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want us for parents. Ugh. And I still have the teenage years to look forward to. And to make matters worse, we’ve got a tenant at our apartment building in Seattle that is making me crazy with e-mails nearly every day ranting and raving about all kinds of insane things, and we’re helpless to do anything about them because there are no solutions. He even called Kory tonight to say he doesn’t like people being in the laundry room the same time he is in there – like Kory can do something about that! Good grief. And on top of all that - we went to Filadelfia Church this morning and they were out of translating headsets so I didn’t understand everything that was being preached and afterwards Kory wanted to point out all the things that were said in the sermon that he felt were beneficial for me to apply to my life. I told him I didn’t understand everything, so maybe those things were really meant for just HIM to hear. Ha. What a day. I’m frazzled.

After dinner tonight we walked over to cousin Axel and Kari’s house to see their photos from the trip they took to Israel last fall. Both Kory and I have been there (at different times) so it was fun to see what’s changed since we were there – and to see a few places neither of us had been to. On the walk back home Kaleb and I were talking to each other in Norwegian and he came up with a plan to alleviate some of his apparent pain. He said he would like to talk just Norwegian to me in exchange for not doing algebra (he doesn’t like that I have him do extra school work when other kids don’t have to). He also wants me to speak just Norwegian to him (which is probably a good idea.) I told him it was fine with me. So we made a deal that if he can go a whole day speaking only Norwegian to Kory and I, then the next day he wouldn’t have to do any algebra. He thought that was fair, but just before he went to bed he asked me a question in English without thinking, so it won’t be as easy as he thinks. He’s full of questions, that boy. Yesterday he wanted to know why muscles are more sore the day after shoveling snow than on the day the muscles get used. Good one. I’d like to know that too, since I’m still feeling rather stiff and this is now the second day after shoveling snow.

It got above freezing today so all the snow is sliding off roof tops in big sheets, and it’s very fun to watch. The snow outside now is not as pristine as it was but it’s way better for making snowmen. I tried to make a snowman yesterday but the snow was so dry it just fell apart every time I formed a decent sized ball. Today was a different story and snowmen were popping up all over the neighborhood. And the coolest thing about them is that everyone makes snowmen or sculptures and they put candles in them! In the photo today, the flash overpowered the glow coming out from the snowman’s eyes and mouth, like a pumpkin. It’s such an odd effect – snow and fire mixing to make art. We saw one big dome made out of snow balls with a large candle burning inside so all the space between the balls was glowing. I guess the candle heat doesn’t really melt the snow that fast so it doesn’t hurt to do it. It sure makes for a nice walk in the dark around here since so many creations are lit up. The snowman in the photo today is sporting the AaFK (Ålesund Fotball Klubb) colors – blue and orange. “Football” is “soccer” here and Ålesund has a professional soccer team which the entire city is ga-ga over. They play their games on Sundays and many people fly the team flag to show their support, even though they are the worst team in all of Norway. It’s a situation similar to the Chicago Cubs – it makes no sense that there is so much support for them when their results are so poor but I guess everyone loves the underdog – and it’s the exact same situation here in Ålesund. I’m not a sports fan myself, so I just can’t relate. Kory went to a soccer game with cousin Odd once and thought it was a lot like church, only a bit more rowdy. The soccer team has a huge choir that leads the audience in songs, everyone cheers and shouts (not “hallelujah”, but they might as well), and they all dress for the occasion (in blue and orange, not their Sunday best.) Kory came home from that game wondering why we don’t get that fired up for God. And I came home from church today just wondering “why.”

No comments: