Saturday, February 7, 2009

Spa Day


Okay, so I may never BE rich and famous, or live the kind of lives they do, but today came close. This whole spa resort thing works well for me. While Kory was off watching one product demonstration after another, Kaleb and Tobias and I enjoyed the facilities. The boys were in the pool right after breakfast while I had my first facial ever. It was decadent. I lost count as to how many products were smeared on my face and then removed with scented, heated clothes. There was also some nice smelling warm steam that was being blown on my face as the woman massaged every little pore. There were so many different scents in the products she was using I was sure I’d come out smelling like a fruit salad. Instead, I came out glowing. My face was softer than a little baby’s behind and I only wished I could have taken a nap afterwards as I was so relaxed. Instead, we played with our laptops until it was time to meet up with Kory and have lunch. (Another feast on par with breakfast, and I’m only wishing I would have brought pants with elastic waistbands.)

After lunch Kory went back to his classes, the boys went back in the pool and I opted for a long walk to a church down the road and a ways beyond. I saw a huge stone cross made about a thousand years ago, which was discovered on the site where The Hotel Alexander now sits. They moved it up by the church and put up a plaque explaining that in Viking days, when an area converted to Christianity, they set up crosses to display their faith but also to show the spot where they would meet together and worship God. They didn’t build churches, they just gathered out in nature. I took a lot of photos as the sun was shining so nicely on the tops of all the surrounding mountains, but baby it was cold outside, so I didn’t stay out too long. When I returned, Kaleb begged me to join him in the pool, so I did. The boys didn’t stay long in the outdoor pool because their hair kept freezing, but I found it most enjoyable. I think the hotel built it to take in the majesty of the surrounding mountains because there is nowhere else that gives quite the same angle on the mountains. The dining room here has glass in part of the ceiling, but even still, it’s hard to see the tops of the mountains, but out in the pool, it all becomes eye candy. The inside pool has its uniqueness too with rock walls, waterfalls and even a fireplace next to the “sunbathing” area (I guess they use tanning bed lights over the lounge chairs.) It was all quite fancy and I felt more than satisfied after taking a sauna.

I was heading back to the room to shower when I saw a sign that said something about a “quiet area” with no kids. I asked at the desk, only to discover there was another entire spa for adults only hidden away out of view. Because I had a facial this morning, I got in for free, otherwise it comes with a $40 entrance fee, but it was worth it! The real luxury of this hotel was well displayed in the ambiance of that spa. They had a huge mineral bath the shape of an almond with massaging jets lining the sides. At one end was a large linear “faucet” coming high out of the wall, which I stood under and got the best water massage on my head, neck and shoulders, while at the same time getting a foot massage from jets of water bubbling up from below. I went into one of the three saunas (it was hard to choose which one because they were all different), laid down and took deep breaths until the sweat ran good, then I jumped into an ice bath they had just outside the sauna area. I noticed I wasn’t the only one to let out a little squeal upon entering. My skin tingled ever so wonderfully afterwards. After about an hour I headed back to the room to take a shower and the boys were there playing with their Nintendos. I really wanted a little nap as I was feeling like a wet noodle, so I gave them each a digital camera and an assignment to go out and take pictures of what they felt represented the essence of God. I told them to use thirty minutes and when they returned, I’d reward the winner. I really just needed some quiet time for my body to recover from all the pampering, and it was a good move. The boys came back so excited with the images they’d captured. Kaleb photographed a light fixture, “Because it looks like the light that Jesus is,” a big overstuffed beautiful chair “Because you’d think God would be warm and comfortable,” the doors entering the dining hall “because it looks like the pearly gates going into heaven, and that’s how I feel when I go in there,” and the entrance to the spa, “Because of that feeling that you get when you come out.” Tobias went outside and took photos of the mountains (see his photo above) that surrounded the area because “He formed the landscape.” Both boys were winners as they each hit the spot. They won a pay-per-view movie in the room but we couldn’t pull them away from the pool table to watch it.
Kory went to the adult's only spa after "work" today and then we all enjoyed another lush dinner. The evening’s entertainment was some well known comedy team which had the audience laughing to tears but Kory and I didn’t get the jokes. Norsk humor I guess. We enjoyed the dancing afterwards though and even danced to a song called “Hallelujah.” Imagine that. It was a dreamy day.

No comments: