Today’s words that made me laugh were referring to an expression they use for when things might not be ideal, but you just have to “tough it out” as we say. Norwegians say you must, “svelge noen kameler” which literally means, “swallow some camel.” I can’t imagine why someone living in Norway would even come up with the imagery of swallowing a camel since camels aren’t anywhere near this country, but I’m beyond trying to figure out most of the reasons why they say what they do. Like the word “født,” (which actually sounds like “foot” to me when it’s being said) means “born.” In the early Norwegian days did all the babies come out feet first, and that’s how they made up that word? “Fred” really cracks me up because that means “peace,” in Norwegian. Perhaps the first Nobel peace prize winner’s name was Fred? (They give those awards out in Oslo every year.) And “hell” in Norwegian actually means “luck” in English. Try to figure out the logic in that one.
One word they use here is “fornøyd” which is pronounced like “for-noid” which also sounds to me like the English word “annoyed.” But the word “fornøyd” actually means “satisfied,” which is quite the opposite of annoyed, so it helps me to remember it’s meaning, but it also makes me laugh to say it. The word “selfølgelig” (pronounced “sell-full-gully”) means “of course” and I laugh every time I hear Kaleb saying it, which he always does if someone asks him to do something. It sounds so foreign and not ANYTHING like “of course,” but I guess that’s why this is a “foreign” language. But then they have all these English words (which aren’t foreign) mixed in with Norwegian, with completely different meanings, like the word, “fag.” The Norwegian word “fag” means a “subject” that one takes in school, or a particular trade, so I often see work trucks with the word FAG in huge letters going down the road, whether it’s a plumbing truck or specialized carpenter van. Too funny. And the word “do” actually means “toilet,” so when in Norway, be careful with the usage of that English word. “Go på do,” (pronounced “go poh do”) is how people here say they need to pee. But I DO like the fact that “love” in Norwegian means “promise” in English (and they have four different words that mean “love.”)
Kory never seems to get the humor in my observations, but Kaleb and I have shared quite a few laughs over this language thing, especially today. But Kory and I did have a few laughs tonight as we went to a Junior High school talent show. Cousin Odd’s daughter Hege had a dance performance in the show but she was toward the end so we had to sit through an incredible line-up of NO talent first. But it was worth the wait as Hege’s dance routine was incredible. She choreographed it herself and that girl can dance like no one I’ve seen dance. The rest of the acts are what would be expected of any junior high age group of kids, but there was one band that played “Hotel California” and it was actually very good. (But it seemed rather surreal to be in Norway hearing some 13 year old belt out an old Eagles tune in English.)
Kaleb finally had an uneventful day at school, Kory worked on his latest drawing, and I came home from school and started planning out our trip to Rome next month. If I go “full fart” I’ll be “snart ferdig.”

2 comments:
I haven't laughed SO HARD in such a long time. I thought everything was hillarious! Will have to have Rod & Josiah read it, they will love it!
Anything "farts" related goes over well in a house full of boys! It's an amazing day if the topic hasn't come up!
"Ye bind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swollow a camel." Matt 23:24.
:)
Post a Comment