Friday, January 30, 2009

Praying Women

I played hooky from school today. I was going to go for the first hour and then leave to join this group of incredible praying women at ten o’clock, but I was enjoying the comforts of a toasty warm bed on an ice cold morning and I couldn’t bear the thought of getting out of it anytime soon. As I was lying there after I turned off the alarm, pleased with the peace and quiet of the morning, with both Kory and Kaleb breathing heavily beside me, I thought I had all the time in the world because I didn’t have to catch the 7:45 bus. Then at about 7:45 I realized that, while I may be skipping school today, Kaleb surely wasn’t! All those peaceful and cozy thoughts of mine turned to real panic when the big “click” in my brain happened that Kaleb needed to be up and out the door in 15 minutes – a near impossibility. He made it to school on time only because we bought an extra 15 minutes by giving him two bucks to take the bus, as the streets were pretty icy and he couldn’t ride his bike anyway. It was no way to start off a morning I thought would otherwise be relaxed. But once I got a quick lunch made for him, I was able to have a cup of coffee with Kory before taking the 9:10 bus into town to go to a prayer meeting with all the women in the photo today.

There was only one woman missing today from this long-standing group of praying women and that was cousin Axel’s wife, Kari. She flew to Oslo early this morning to go say goodbye to her daughter Roda, who is moving to Australia for one year just for the fun of it (kind of like what we are doing here in Norway.) So Kari was missed, but I sure enjoyed the time spent with these other women. I was able to share quite a few “God” stories with them, talking mostly in Norwegian, so I didn’t feel too badly about missing school. I told them about several tight spots Kory and I have been in where God has come to our rescue in various and miraculous ways. I told them I once said to Kory that I thought God loves me more than everyone else because He is always doing so many unbelievable things for me. Kory then reminded me that God loves us all the same, and He does all those things for everyone else too, it’s just that I notice them more. They liked that. After we talked a while, we spent time in soaking prayer (I love that they want to do that), and then talked some more about what God showed us during our quiet time with Him. I gave them all pretty little notebooks so they could write down all the things God is doing in their lives so they will have their own little love booklet from God. They liked that too. I love that they invited me again today as it was a big thrill for me to be with women who have such a hunger for God and who want more of whatever He has to give. We all left encouraged, even though some of these women are going through incredibly difficult times right now. But God is faithful, and I believe that “all things” will work together “for good,” as the Bible says.

The photo today was taken around a coffee table, and certainly depicts a normal “coffee time” in Norway. The coffee tables here are much higher than ours in America as they use them almost like a dining room table where everyone gathers in the living room and eats a light meal together. Having “coffee” in a Norwegian’s home seems more like lunch, as they always serve open faced sandwiches, coffee and something sweet to eat no matter what time of day. The best china, candles and crystal are also commonly used when having someone over for coffee. Chances are much greater to be invited to someone’s house for coffee, than for a full blown meal. I like it.

I’m always thrilled when I hear from someone that reads my blog, as it encourages me to keep writing. Today, one of the cousins in Oslo that reads it wrote to me and filled me in on the “swallow some camel” comment that I was pondering the origins of yesterday. Bent-Jarle (a preacher’s son), quoted Matt 23:24 where it says, “You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.” So that was it – it came from the Bible! I asked so many people where that saying came from and no one knew. I suspected it might be from the Bible, but no verses came to mind so I dismissed it. But now I know. I think it’s funny that Norwegians are quoting scripture and don’t even realize it.

Kaleb published his latest edition of The Weakly Puppy today and I am sensing the end is near. He has found children much more fun to be around than dogs and he is running out of material to write about. I actually think that is a good thing. After next month’s 2 year anniversary edition, he wants to take a break until we get back to America. I’m sure dogs will take on more significance then, since there are no children to play with in our neighborhood at home. So sad.

No comments: