Today began my self-imposed Sabbath on Mondays. Oh, it was good. I made Kaleb’s lunch last night so I didn’t need to get up for that, and I let him get his own breakfast. I tried to sleep in, but had too much anxiety over him not getting out the door on time, so I got up and saw him off to school. He’s back to riding his bike now that all the ice has melted. Kory was off to work before either of us got up so I had a wonderfully peaceful house all to myself for a good six hours today. It was as close to heaven as it gets. And I promised myself I wouldn’t even touch my computer during that time – just spend it in prayer and Bible study. It was time well spent and I feel so much better. I was a little stressed about a few things, but God gave me the answers I was looking for.
I have been asked to speak for 15 minutes at Filadelfia Church this Thursday – before the group that assembles to pray for an hour or two each week. They left the subject matter open, so I had to ask God what I should talk on and I got my answer today – soaking prayer! I love doing that so it will be an easy talk. Most of the time when I pray, I’m so busy ASKING God for things I rarely hear what He wants to say to me. About a year ago I had a big “ah-ha” moment after Kaleb crawled into bed with us one morning and fell back asleep. I couldn’t sleep so I just laid there next to him kissing his head and lovin’ on him. I don’t know what benefit he got out of all that as he was sound asleep, but I know it sure made me feel better and it gave me more patience with him that day. I also liked the fact I could be so close to him when he wasn’t talking, wasn’t asking a million questions, wasn’t wriggling around, wasn’t poking me with an elbow. Then it occurred to me that God has the same desire to be with us like that – and that can only happen when we are STILL, NOT talking to Him, and just soaking in whatever it is He has for us. So many incredible things have happened to me during that time, so that’s what I’m going to talk about – the power of soaking prayer and receiving love from God. I can’t wait. And the good news is, I can speak in English, as they all understand it perfectly. Then the rest of my time alone today was spent preparing the speech (without the aid of my computer), and beginning to work on the Bible study we will start next week on the book of James. That was also a very powerful time for me. There’s so much good stuff in that book – it’s gotta be my favorite. So all-in-all, I’m off to a good start having Monday’s to myself.
Kaleb came home a little after two o’clock soaking wet. I tried to tell him his favorite jacket is NOT a rain jacket, but he wouldn’t listen. Today he found out I was right. He was soaked to the bone all day as he neglected to put on his rain pants too. This is how they learn. I had some warm “risgrøt” waiting for him (rice porridge) when he got home – his favorite Norsk meal anytime of the day. Then he sat at the table and did homework for nearly six hours! (I sat beside him and FINALLY did some of mine, too.) He wasn’t motivated for some reason so most of that was wasted time but I’m glad I had my batteries recharged today or I would have been very flustered with him. His teacher is starting to kick it up a notch with the homework though so I’m glad he’s dropping out of the afterschool program so he has more time for school work (although I really wish he didn’t have any.)
Kory worked out in Langevåg today, mostly by himself. He worked all day with praise music blasting throughout the house so he came home in a good mood. He told me a little about the construction of houses today and how they run plastic conduits all throughout the house wherever there will be plumbing or wiring. Then later, the plumber and electrician snake in the wires or water pipes. The water pipes are more like an industrial hose (one for hot and one for cold) as they are flexible and all one piece so they can’t break. But assuming they did break, the water would be contained inside the plastic conduit and it would come out at the junction box where there is always an in-floor drain – so water damage isn’t really an issue. The electrical wires are also protected inside the conduit so little critters can’t gnaw on them. Houses here have several smart designs in their construction - like the heated entry floors and bathroom floors (mold is never a problem if the room is always warm). All interior doors are always kept shut in homes here because heating is zonal, not central. As a result, they put little signs on the outside of the bathroom doors so visitors don’t accidentally walk into a closet when they need to pee. Most of the signs just say “W/C” –borrowing from the British term for “Water Closet,” but the sign I put on our bathroom door just says “BAD.” That’s actually the real Norwegian word for “bathroom,” (pronounced bah-d) but it’s also an accurate description of how it that room sometimes smells - so it's more like a warning.
I have been asked to speak for 15 minutes at Filadelfia Church this Thursday – before the group that assembles to pray for an hour or two each week. They left the subject matter open, so I had to ask God what I should talk on and I got my answer today – soaking prayer! I love doing that so it will be an easy talk. Most of the time when I pray, I’m so busy ASKING God for things I rarely hear what He wants to say to me. About a year ago I had a big “ah-ha” moment after Kaleb crawled into bed with us one morning and fell back asleep. I couldn’t sleep so I just laid there next to him kissing his head and lovin’ on him. I don’t know what benefit he got out of all that as he was sound asleep, but I know it sure made me feel better and it gave me more patience with him that day. I also liked the fact I could be so close to him when he wasn’t talking, wasn’t asking a million questions, wasn’t wriggling around, wasn’t poking me with an elbow. Then it occurred to me that God has the same desire to be with us like that – and that can only happen when we are STILL, NOT talking to Him, and just soaking in whatever it is He has for us. So many incredible things have happened to me during that time, so that’s what I’m going to talk about – the power of soaking prayer and receiving love from God. I can’t wait. And the good news is, I can speak in English, as they all understand it perfectly. Then the rest of my time alone today was spent preparing the speech (without the aid of my computer), and beginning to work on the Bible study we will start next week on the book of James. That was also a very powerful time for me. There’s so much good stuff in that book – it’s gotta be my favorite. So all-in-all, I’m off to a good start having Monday’s to myself.
Kaleb came home a little after two o’clock soaking wet. I tried to tell him his favorite jacket is NOT a rain jacket, but he wouldn’t listen. Today he found out I was right. He was soaked to the bone all day as he neglected to put on his rain pants too. This is how they learn. I had some warm “risgrøt” waiting for him (rice porridge) when he got home – his favorite Norsk meal anytime of the day. Then he sat at the table and did homework for nearly six hours! (I sat beside him and FINALLY did some of mine, too.) He wasn’t motivated for some reason so most of that was wasted time but I’m glad I had my batteries recharged today or I would have been very flustered with him. His teacher is starting to kick it up a notch with the homework though so I’m glad he’s dropping out of the afterschool program so he has more time for school work (although I really wish he didn’t have any.)
Kory worked out in Langevåg today, mostly by himself. He worked all day with praise music blasting throughout the house so he came home in a good mood. He told me a little about the construction of houses today and how they run plastic conduits all throughout the house wherever there will be plumbing or wiring. Then later, the plumber and electrician snake in the wires or water pipes. The water pipes are more like an industrial hose (one for hot and one for cold) as they are flexible and all one piece so they can’t break. But assuming they did break, the water would be contained inside the plastic conduit and it would come out at the junction box where there is always an in-floor drain – so water damage isn’t really an issue. The electrical wires are also protected inside the conduit so little critters can’t gnaw on them. Houses here have several smart designs in their construction - like the heated entry floors and bathroom floors (mold is never a problem if the room is always warm). All interior doors are always kept shut in homes here because heating is zonal, not central. As a result, they put little signs on the outside of the bathroom doors so visitors don’t accidentally walk into a closet when they need to pee. Most of the signs just say “W/C” –borrowing from the British term for “Water Closet,” but the sign I put on our bathroom door just says “BAD.” That’s actually the real Norwegian word for “bathroom,” (pronounced bah-d) but it’s also an accurate description of how it that room sometimes smells - so it's more like a warning.

No comments:
Post a Comment