Sunday, October 7, 2012

Packin' It Up...


Nothing was on the agenda for today, just as I planned it.  The idea was, we’d get packed up, cleaned out and ready to vacate our place so we could relax for a few days and not be stressed out at the last minute.  Well, we’re mostly packed up, mostly cleaned up and far from being stressed, so hopefully the next few days will be enjoyable.  There’s still much to do, but I think it will all get done.

Other than hauling boxes down to our storage unit in the parking garage, we didn’t get out much today.  Our place now looks fairly sterile and not nearly as welcoming as it did with plants inside and out on the deck, and all my little “homey” things sitting around.  I thought it best to put away my favorite treasures in case we rent out the place while we are gone.  At this point, just a neighbor is renting it for a week during Christmas, but it’s always good to be prepared.

Kaleb was a tremendous help today, washing floors and hauling boxes.  Kory had but one task, and it seemed to take all day.  He can turn a two-minute project into five hours, like no one I’ve seen before.  It was hard not to be irritated with him since there is much yet to be done, but that guy has to move at his own pace and what he finds “comfortable” is just downright painful for me.  Such is life.

So that was our day.  We played a few games tonight after dinner.  I made a huge pot of pea soup to eat up in these last few days before we go and also to use up the food in the frig.  I’m trying not to buy any more food so our diet will be interesting, as I hate to throw stuff out when we leave.  Kory wanted to invite the aunts over for soup and salad and I told him I made the soup, so if he makes the salad we could do that.  He then informed me he “doesn’t know how to make a salad.”  Oh, brother.  He’s losing it.  We just had soup for dinner, without the aunts. L

Tonight I did a little research on Greece and have since decided to leave my laptop in our luggage in Oslo.  I don’t want to take the chance it gets stolen, as my whole life is in this thing.  So I won’t be updating the blog until we get back to Oslo on the 19th, but I’ll at least keep a written journal, which I can type up then.  We are trying to bring as little as possible with us to Greece since we have so many inter-island flights and different hotels and one carry on bag is all we’re taking.  Traveling light – what a concept!  So the only sad part will be the limited internet access, but Kory will bring his I-pad and I can hopefully at least check my emails and Facebook every once in a while, but not for long, as Kory’s not as good at sharing as he thinks he is.

God blessed us with a wonderful sunset tonight, so at least I got to take a few photos.  Pictures of our 350 pounds of luggage isn’t much to look at but the sky tonight was awesome.  Thank you, Jesus! 

All in all it takes about a week of our time here to move in and move out of our condo, so as Kaleb says, “it’s a good thing we stay longer than a week.”  I’m so thankful we don’t have to do anything but unpack when we get back home as we’ve been blessed with housesitters that have kept all our plants watered in the midst of the record breaking dry spell Seattle has been having.  It will be good to be back home, even if the grass is no longer green.

No comments: