Thursday, December 18, 2008

One More Chance

Another bid to buy The Sinking Houses came in today that was higher than ours (we don’t know from who). We countered with a hundred thousand dollars more than our original offer. At this point, it would still pencil out even if just half the houses were occupied, but that’s our final offer. If another higher bid comes in tomorrow, then we consider it a closed door and we will not buy the houses. With the price we offered today we would pay 600,000 kroner per house which at today’s exchange rate is less than $100,000 each. Most houses around here sell for well over $400,000 so that shows just how worthless these houses are considered. As rental property though, they have the possibility to be a gold mine, but the long term costs of owning them as the ground continues to sink, is quite uncertain, so that’s the risk. (Kory looks at it like “nature” has already created half a basement.) I’m glad God knows the future because we completely trust Him to guide us through opening or closing these doors. We will know for sure tomorrow. Kory spoke today to both the attorney and a banker (who is a friend of ours) and at this point, it seems there is a pretty good chance we will get them, but you never know. Kory is so excited he’s nearly floating. I’m a bit more neutral and will be relieved if we get them, but also if we don’t.

And today we got a dog, which has Kaleb floating… but we have to give him back on Tuesday. He’s a sweet pup but not neutered, so his hormones are in full control of him right now. We are constantly having to tell him to “sit.” He looks like a black lab mix and he’s only two years old so he has a lot of energy. (See photo of him watching Kory and Kaleb reading Norwegian.) I hope he settles down soon. Tobias and Sabina were here all afternoon and the commotion in the house nearly drove me insane. All three kids were yelling at the dog at the same time they were playing their Nintendogs program on their little handheld Nintendo computers (which responds to voice commands as well). It was chaos. But I do love the fact that our house has become the place to hang out. Even though it’s so small and there isn’t much to do, it’s nice the kids want to be here. But what’s so funny is that their new little computers allow them to go into a “chat room” and as long as they are within a certain distance from each other they can send messages back and forth a little like e-mail. So they all three sit on the couch right next to each other with their Nintendos in hand and do the modern day version of communication – they type up something and hit “send.” It’s a bizarre irony, that’s for sure. But at least when they are doing it, it’s quiet.

Tomorrow is Kaleb and my last day of school for the year. I start a new term in January, but I get over two weeks off for Christmas, as does Kaleb. By law I’m entitled to 3000 hours of Norwegian lessons for free (three school years), but once I am able to pass the Norske Prøve 3 test, the government stops paying for it as that is the level of competency for getting a job. Logically I would no longer need lessons (most people can pass that test in 12-18 months). Once a student has passed the Norsk Prøve 3 test, they get a certificate that needs to be shown when applying for work to “prove” their competency is there, but I’d think just talking to someone would work just the same. It doesn’t take long to realize when someone isn’t getting it. Oh well, they have their rules. We don’t learn just how to speak Norwegian, but to read and write it as well, so the test covers it all. I’ll take the Norske Prøve 2 test in February and I may take the Norske Prøve 3 in June before we leave. If there’s a chance we’re going to stick around a while longer, or we’re coming back again soon, I’ll NOT take it so I can keep getting free lessons. I like going to school not only for what I learn about Norway but we often talk about traditions and cultures and the way life is in our home countries so I’ve learned a lot about many other places as well. I love my teacher and our classroom, but we found out last week we have to move classrooms after the first of the year. I’m not happy about that but our teacher said, “Ikke mas” (no whining), so I must behave. We will be meeting at Nørvøy School where all our administrative offices are located. It’s a more remote location (but still downtown) so I will miss my wonderful walk along the harbor and being right in the heart of things. I guess I should just be thankful I get free lessons (it costs over $4,000 a year if I had to pay, and many students do, so I’m very lucky.) I’m still in awe that we moved here expecting to be so broke and God has provided us with a free place to live, a perfect job for Kory and free Norwegian lessons for me. This year has certainly been incredible. Hallelujah!

No comments: