Saturday, December 13, 2008

Hittin' The Air Waves

Kory and I were on the local Christian radio station today! We talked mostly about how God works all things together for the good (my favorite promise from God). I shared many stories of God working in my life – the story of my miraculous foot healing last year; of giving my house away in Astoria, Oregon to become a battered women’s shelter; how God comforted me when my dad was murdered; and how it is we came to live in Norway. Kory shared a bit about his life history and the pain of going through a divorce but how his life is so good now he can hardly believe it. It went VERY well and the woman in charge of the program asked us to be regulars on the air with her! (She’s quite the prayer warrior, that woman– she paced for about an hour before the program, praising God and praying up a storm.) So Hallelujah! We had several friends and family members listening in and they all said they thought it went well. (We also had several friends praying for us in America so I know that made a huge impact.) I had a translator as my Norwegian is too embarrassing to even try to speak my mind yet, but maybe by June I’ll be able to share from my heart in this challenging language. Both Kory and I were excited for this opportunity and we are in awe of how God works. We never saw this one coming.

Kaleb had a very fun time on his sleepover with Benjamin and Kory and I enjoyed being able to sleep in this morning and have some quiet time to ourselves. On our way home from the radio station I took the photo today just a few houses down from where we live. It was another awesome sunset. We’ve had these nearly every day for weeks on end, but I’m often not in the right place to take a photo. The sunrise this morning was even more spectacular but I didn’t want to go out in the cold to get a good angle.

After we brought Kaleb home, we weren’t in the house two minutes before the phone rang and it was Tobias, and the doorbell rang and it was Sabina. They were both here in a flash and they stayed the entire evening (actually Sabina is sleeping over because her mom had a few parties to attend). I love that Kaleb has friends! It’s all so new for us as there are no kids in our neighborhood back home, so this is such a different life here. We love the pace of everything too. We stopped by the grocery store this afternoon and ran into several people we know. It’s like that everywhere we go. We saw cousin Odd at the store so we invited him and his daughter Hege over for dinner so he didn’t have to cook (Turid was working). As usual, we had a great evening just visiting. Odd and Kory debated the pros and cons of buying The Sinking Houses and what things would need to be done before they could be rented out. Odd goes back and forth on his opinion of whether or not we should buy them. Fortunately, we’re letting God decide for us. Odd and Kory also got on the conversation of the farms that dot the edge of these incredible mountains around here. In the old days people built farms straight up the sides of these mountains because they were desperate for fertile ground to farm, but it also happened that when the tax collector came a callin’, they could pull up the ladder and avoid paying the tax. They are summer homes now but they have quite a history to them. Kory’s dad was a lay-minister back in the 1940s and he used to go up into the mountains and hold church services at some of the homes. Kory remembers one place very well that they visited and he’s been wanting to go back there ever since he was a kid (he has a nasty scar on his knee from that visit). Odd helped him locate where it is on the map and I found photos of it on the internet so Kory is very excited. We must visit that place before we leave Norway or I’m sure Kory will feel incomplete in this journey. I just hope the hike up the mountain doesn’t kill him.

No comments: