Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Gettin' Over Jet Lag



We had nothing on the agenda for today and that’s about what we got accomplished.  I think Kory and I got hit with a bit of delayed jet lag as we both needed a nap and were dogging it all day. Kaleb slept in until after ten again.  What a bunch of slugs we were.

There was enough sunshine today to dry the living room rug out on the deck, so that was my greatest accomplishment – ha.  I did spend more time in the basement storage unit that I would have liked – going through boxes, getting rid of things and sorting through junk leftover from four years ago.  I still can’t find some of the stuff I know we have here so I’m miffed as to where it all can be.  But things keep turning up, so I won’t give up hope yet.

Kory went running this morning even before I had a cup of coffee.  He’s still getting angina, but it doesn’t seem as much - so hopefully the fat-free diet is helping, as it is supposed to.  The day he gets no angina he’ll be doing more than shouting “Hallelujah.” 

This morning on my daily trip to the grocery store, I ran into Rigmor, a woman in the prayer group I attend when I’m here.  We had a nice long chat in the grocery aisle and then again at the check-out counter.  I don’t think I’ve ever left the house without seeing someone I know here.  This afternoon Kory and I went to a few garden stores to buy plants for the deck, which later got potted.  At the first garden store we ran into Kory’s mom’s cousin’s wife and at the second one, we ran into a woman from church.  Things take time to get done when a lot of visiting happens along the way.  But it’s part of the charm of living here, and I’m thankful I got to visit with folks without having to worry about cleaning the house!

Kaleb left us after lunch to go to Andre’s for the day and didn’t get home until after ten tonight.  He swears he was outside in the sunshine, but sometimes I think he goes out for five minutes and back in again on electronics, just so he can tell me he wasn’t inside ALL day.

Kory spent several hours today trying his hand at sketching faces.  He does best with buildings, but has not quite figured out how to do faces, so he keeps working at it, thinking practice will make perfect.  He sketched my little buddy Karl Alexander, and his parents.  I only liked his rendition of the boy, as the parents looked a bit too alien, like.  At least he’s trying.

I was so thankful today to finally find an empty spray bottle!  I’ve checked every store I could think of, and no one sold them, but the garden store had one for misting plants.  I need it for spraying vegetables and fruits with my hydrogen peroxide water, as it cleans like nothing else.  And I also found out that the reason the hydrogen peroxide is so expensive here is because it’s an ingredient used for making explosives.  The government is trying to discourage people (mostly kids) from even trying to make them, by setting the price sky high on all the individual ingredients.  That’s also why I could only get it from behind the counter at the pharmacy – I guess they want to check out the person who is buying it.  Good grief.

Rigmor told me our friend, Kristin’s, birthday is tomorrow so I took an evening drive over to drop off a gift to her.  She wasn’t home, but it was still good to get out a little and see some beautiful Norwegian houses lit up by the evening sun.  I hadn’t driven our car yet and I needed to get back in the swing of using a stick shift and driving in Norway.  I also dropped off a plant to Tobias’ mom (our old neighbor).  She recently lost her father.  Since I was in the neighborhood of the “sinking houses,” I drove on by there to take another look.  Such fond memories of our year spent on that street.  But we’ve made a few memories in our new place too, and I hope there’s still many more to come.


No comments: